[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript previewer for Sunview

rc@wyse.wyse.com (04/05/89)

Does anyone know of any package that will allow one to preview
PostScript files on a Sun workstation ?

Any leads would be very much appreciated. I have ftp access.

Thanks in advance

-rc
Ran-Chi Huang
Wyse Technology                 VOICE: (408) 433-1000 x1537
3571, N. First Street           ARPA:  rc@wyse.com  OR  rc@caf.mit.edu
San Jose, CA 95134              UUCP:  ...!{uunet}!wyse!rc

spage@cup.portal.com (S spage Page) (04/22/89)

If you own a Sun workstation and are remotely interested in PostScript,

	BUY NeWS 1.1 for $100!

It's a separate window system from SunView 1, but it coexists reasonably
well and its native imaging model and communication protocol is PostScript.
You get a zillion and one bitmap fonts, a OOP class system written in
PostScript (!), thousands of lines of PostScript code, and a bunch of useful
utilities.  Working with PostScript code in NeWS is simple:

To preview PostScript, just create a window and feed it PostScript.

To create a Sun rasterfile of PostScript code, create a window, feed it
PostScript, then execute the `writecanvas' operator.

To develop and debug PostScript, connect to the server in a terminal window
and start typing PostScript.

The good folks in comp.windows.news have written programs for all these
tasks.

While I'm here, can anyone comment on using NeWS/2 running on OS/2 as a
PostScript development environment?  How about ghostscript on a PC?  I can't
use LaserTalk or other tools which hook up to a printer because mine is on the
other side of a Novell network.

I'm biased, I wrote window manuals for Sun.  But I still miss NeWS.

=S

bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) (03/23/91)

I have a collegue who has a Sun 3/160 running SunView under
SunOS 3.5.

Does anyone know of a PostScript previewer that would run
on her workstation?  Pointers to commercial products as well
as software available on the net are welcome!

Thanks, in advance.

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Mohler
Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)

rel@mtu.edu (Robert Landsparger) (03/23/91)

Under SunView, nothing off hand that I know of.

Under Sun's OpenWindows, pageview is, IMHO, excellent for PostScript preview
and editing.  Great font display ability.

Under X-window, xps is good.  The fonts aren't display true to form because
of license requirement.

Ghostscript is available under X-windows, but I haven't played much with it
yet.  I'm going to take a look at it this weekend when I get time.

Bob.

| Robert E. Landsparger (rel@mtu.edu)	|
+

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (03/23/91)

<
<Does anyone know of a PostScript previewer that would run
<on her workstation?  Pointers to commercial products as well
<as software available on the net are welcome!

You aren't going to like this answer, but move up to SunOS 4.1 and use the
OpenWindows pageview PostScript previewer.  SunOS 3.5 is really out-of-date.
Now, I have to admit that there situations where you have to stay at 3.5,
I have that problem at work.  But the machines that weren't hit with this
particular problem are at SunOS 4.1.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\          spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

aki@akix.uucp (Aki Atoji) (03/24/91)

rel@mtu.edu (Robert Landsparger) writes:

>Under SunView, nothing off hand that I know of.

GhostScript 2.1 comes with Sunview drivers.  A commercial product
called freedom of Press from CAI can display on screen as well.
I personally prefer GhostScript.

>Under Sun's OpenWindows, pageview is, IMHO, excellent for PostScript preview
>and editing.  Great font display ability.

I agree that pageview is very good, although both pageview and
newsprint had problems printing certain PS files.

>Under X-window, xps is good.  The fonts aren't display true to form because
>of license requirement.

>Ghostscript is available under X-windows, but I haven't played much with it
>yet.  I'm going to take a look at it this weekend when I get time.

>Bob.

>--
>+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Robert E. Landsparger (rel@mtu.edu)	|
>| Computing Technology Services		|  "Fall behind early, it gives you
>| Michigan Technological University	|  more time to catch up"
>| Houghton, MI 49931	(906) 487-2110	|                         -rel
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| The above comments do not always represent those of my employer.
>+

Aki Atoji                                    {ncr-sd,ucsd}!serene!akix!aki
                          {nosc,ucsd,hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!telesys!akix!aki
                               (only if above fail)          aki@akix.uucp

rel@mtu.edu (Robert Landsparger) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar23.192039.28790@akix.uucp>, aki@akix.uucp (Aki Atoji) writes:

|> rel@mtu.edu (Robert Landsparger) writes:
|>
|> >Under SunView, nothing off hand that I know of.
|>
|> GhostScript 2.1 comes with Sunview drivers.  A commercial product
|> called freedom of Press from CAI can display on screen as well.
|> I personally prefer GhostScript.

Just ftp'ed GhostScript 2.1.1 this weekend.  I like it better than the
other version I had.  Will try and make it with the Sunview drivers and
see how it works.  The fonts look "jagged" at large scale at first play.

|> >Under Sun's OpenWindows, pageview is, IMHO, excellent for PostScript preview
|> >and editing.  Great font display ability.
|>
|> I agree that pageview is very good, although both pageview and
|> newsprint had problems printing certain PS files.

I noticed that FrameMaker files sometimes will die when when using NeWS due
to a setpapersize call.  I put together an awk that will fix that and use
it as a filter.  Do you have any other examples I might be able to get
from you to make newsprint have problems?

--Bob

| Robert E. Landsparger (rel@mtu.edu)	|
| Computing Technology Services		|  "Fall behind early, it gives you
| Michigan Technological University	|  more time to catch up"
| Houghton, MI 49931	(906) 487-2110	|                         -rel
| The above comments do not always represent those of my employer.
+

emee36@castle.ed.ac.uk (C Spencer) (03/26/91)

There is a British product called ralpage, which I think ran under OS 3.5.

--
Charles Spencer				email : C.Spencer@edinburgh.ac.uk
Computing Officer

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar22.201949.19617@mtu.edu>, rel@mtu.edu (Robert Landsparger) writes:

    *  Under SunView, nothing off hand that I know of.
I have GhostScript running in SunView on Sun OS 3.5.  Works fine.

And In article <1991Mar23.025010.17707@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

    *  You aren't going to like this answer, but move up to SunOS 4.1
    *  and use the OpenWindows pageview PostScript previewer.  SunOS 3.5
    *  is really out-of-date.
I've been running 3.5 on my home 3/60 since December 1988.  Runs fine.
Never crashes.  Have GhostScript running in SunView.  Works Great.

	........  Henry

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (03/28/91)

In article <521@appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) writes:
<And In article <1991Mar23.025010.17707@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
<
<    *  You aren't going to like this answer, but move up to SunOS 4.1
<    *  and use the OpenWindows pageview PostScript previewer.  SunOS 3.5
<    *  is really out-of-date.
<I've been running 3.5 on my home 3/60 since December 1988.  Runs fine.
<Never crashes.  Have GhostScript running in SunView.  Works Great.

OK, GhostScript works under SunView.  I'll remember that.  But, personal
opinion node on, you will find that you are behind the times.  Unless there
is a reason that you can't move from 3.5 (the original poster asking the
question can't because of money, etc, or like my site on a couple of machines
due to the CAD or CAE software), you should move up to SunOS 4.1 and a version
of Xwindows, be it Sun's OpenLook or MIT's pure X11R4 code and the various
window managers that are around.  The Xwindow environment is SO much better
than SunView and more and more programs are being made for Xwindows.  You
can get many utilities right here off the net, and I have.  These same
utilities aren't available for SunView.

In your case, you probably don't have the funds to upgrade your home
system.  I'm in the same boat for the Unix that I have on my home PC.  I
don't have Xwindows running at home, not because of money, but because of
hard disk space to compile X11R4.  But, at work, all systems that can be
changed to SunOS 4.1 have been upgraded.  I wouldn't go back to SunView
again, even if you paid me (well, 6-digit numbers would do it :-).  Personal
opinion mode off.

But, I will keep in mind that GhostScript is working under SunView.
--

bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) (03/29/91)

In article <17707@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, I write:
> I have a collegue who has a Sun 3/160 running SunView under
> SunOS 3.5.
>
> Does anyone know of a PostScript previewer that would run
> on her workstation?  Pointers to commercial products as well
> as software available on the net are welcome!
>
> Thanks, in advance.
>
> Bruce

Thanks to the following people for responding to my question (above):

	Robert Landsparger	rel@mtu.edu
	Robert A. Lerche	ralerche@lindy.Stanford.EDU
	Jules Andrew Yasuna	jy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu
	Aki Atoji		serene!akix.uucp!aki@ucsd.edu
	Vidiot			brown@vidiot.UUCP
	Scott Boyd		scott@Futures.com
	Henry McGilton		henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM
	Charles Spencer		emee36@castle.ed.ac.uk

This is a summary of their replies.

Within the environment described above, the following products
were known to work:

	Freedom of the Press (from CAI)
	GhostScript (from FSF)
	Ralpage

Of the 3 products, GhostScript and Ralpage are freely available
while Freedom of the Press is a commercial product.  Of the freely
available products, preference for GhostScript (especially the newest
version 2.1.1) was consistent.  Check UUNET or the archive data
base for locations near you...

Within the environment described above, the following produts
were thought to work:

	NeWS (Sun's own PostScript interpreter)

Finally, thank you *very much* for responding to my question!

Bruce