[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript to HP Graphics

dklawite@darwin.helios.nd.edu (04/01/91)

   I would like to find a translation program that would take a Postscript
program and produce a file that would print on a LaserJet IIx.  Is this
a just a dream?

   I have written the Postscript code to produce a form but would also
like to be able to print the form on LaserJets (without an emulation
cartridge).

    Any comments are appreciated.    The Klaw.

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (04/01/91)

[In article <1991Apr1.071130.24884@news.nd.edu>,
     dklawite@darwin.helios.nd.edu writes ... ]

>    I would like to find a translation program that would take a Postscript
> program and produce a file that would print on a LaserJet IIx.  Is this
> a just a dream?
>
>    I have written the Postscript code to produce a form but would also
> like to be able to print the form on LaserJets (without an emulation
> cartridge).

Ultrascript, a commercial program from Imagen, is a PostScript interpreter
that runs on a variety of computers and comes with output drivers for
a number of relatively dumb printers. A similar program is Freedom of the
Press.

Perhaps GhostScript can do the same thing. Could someone comment on the
capabilities of GhostScript? Is it worth porting the MS-DOS version to the
Atari ST?

----
  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve
  GEnie: S.YELVINGTO2               Delphi: YELVINGTON

dklawite@darwin.helios.nd.edu (04/03/91)

In article <A1309218433@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)
writes:
>[In article <1991Apr1.071130.24884@news.nd.edu>,
>     dklawite@darwin.helios.nd.edu writes ... ]
>
>>    I would like to find a translation program that would take a Postscript
>> program and produce a file that would print on a LaserJet IIx.  Is this
>> a just a dream?
>>
>>    I have written the Postscript code to produce a form but would also
>> like to be able to print the form on LaserJets (without an emulation
>> cartridge).
>
>Ultrascript, a commercial program from Imagen, is a PostScript interpreter
>that runs on a variety of computers and comes with output drivers for
>a number of relatively dumb printers. A similar program is Freedom of the
>Press.
>
>Perhaps GhostScript can do the same thing. Could someone comment on the
>capabilities of GhostScript? Is it worth porting the MS-DOS version to the
>Atari ST?
>
>----
>  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
>  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve
>  GEnie: S.YELVINGTO2               Delphi: YELVINGTON

The thing is I would like to translate the code into HP PCL/ HPGL not
just interpret it.  That's a whole different problem.....

Klaw