[net.micro] second request for cocomo information

dmm@panda.UUCP (Dottie MacKeen) (08/06/86)

This is a second request for information on a project management
package called cocomo.  I did recieve one response telling me
that it was a version of WICOMO from Wang but nothing to suggest
how I might locate it.

If you are aware of a PC version of this software will you please
give me some information on sources.

I am posting again in the hope that the people who know about it
assumed someone else would answer.

thanks

dottie mackeen

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (08/07/86)

In article <2088@panda.UUCP>, dmm@panda.UUCP (Dottie MacKeen) writes:
> This is a second request for information on a project management
> package called cocomo.  I did recieve one response telling me
> that it was a version of WICOMO from Wang but nothing to suggest
> how I might locate it.
>
> If you are aware of a PC version of this software will you please
> give me some information on sources.

Dottie, you musn't have seen my message about "WICOMO", the Wang Institute
implementation of COCOMO for the IBM PC and 4.2BSD systems, in which I described
how to obtain it.  Probably your best bet is to call the main number at the
Wang Institute in Tyngsborough, MA: 617-649-9731, and ask about availability
of software developed at WI.  I believe WICOMO is available for some nominal
distribution fee.

Quite coincidentally, I received a package in the mail this morning from an
old classmate of mine from WI who has formed a company to sell a commercially
supported souped-up COCOMO estimation tool for IBM/PC machines and VAXes.
It is apparently compatible with WICOMO commands and data files, although
it is a completely new implementation of the model.  I haven't yet had a
chance to play with the demo disk he sent me, so as BYTE says, "this is not
a review."  Still, he was part of the original project team that worked on
WICOMO, one of the best projects to come out of WI, and I am familiar
with his work, so I feel fairly confident that it is a high-quality product.

For information on this version of COCOMO, known as Costar, contact

Dan Ligett
Softstar Systems
28 Poneman Road
Amherst, NH 03031
(603)-672-0987

Naturally, I have no connection with Softstar, no axe to grind, etc...
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU