[comp.lang.postscript] Musical flats and sharps

maceache@fox.nstn.ns.ca (Tim Maceachern) (03/28/91)

I'd like to help my piano teacher print some fingering charts for
piano students.  Can anyone suggest a source, other than the whole
sonata font, for a flat and sharp character.  I'm getting tired of
using the number sign and small letter b.  Are they available in
ZapfDingbats?
   Tim MacEachern    maceache@fox.nstn.ns.ca

ian@syacus.acus.oz.au (Ian Joyner) (04/05/91)

maceache@fox.nstn.ns.ca (Tim Maceachern) writes:

>I'd like to help my piano teacher print some fingering charts for
>piano students.  Can anyone suggest a source, other than the whole
>sonata font, for a flat and sharp character.  I'm getting tired of
>using the number sign and small letter b.  Are they available in
>ZapfDingbats?

mmmm, there might be one or two in those strange Mac bit map fonts like
Cairo. It may be worth having a look at Music Publisher by Repertoire
for the sort of task you are describing. This includes the whole
Repertoire font though, but is quite cheap, and includes a Dal Molin
style input keypad. It is quite geared towards doing text books and
similar annotated music, and as such addresses a different part of
the market to Finale.
--
Ian Joyner                                     ACSNet: ian@syacus.oz
ACUS (Australian Centre for Unisys Software)   DNS:  ian@syacus.oz.au

brecher@husc9.harvard.edu (Jonathan Brecher) (04/06/91)

maceache@fox.nstn.ns.ca (Tim Maceachern) writes:

   >I'd like to help my piano teacher print some fingering charts for
   >piano students.  Can anyone suggest a source, other than the whole
   >sonata font, for a flat and sharp character.  I'm getting tired of
   >using the number sign and small letter b.  Are they available in
   >ZapfDingbats?

The fonts ShpFltNat and TempoFont (TempoFont is a later release of ShpFltNat, I
think) have an assortment of musical symbols and are laser fonts to boot. Both
are available by anonymous ftp at mac.archive.umich.edu (141.211.168.70) in
/archive/mac/system.extensions/fonts (or something like that).
					jb