[comp.lang.postscript] Text to PS in Signature Order

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (04/02/91)

We have heard of a whole bunch of utilities which translate ASCII text
into PostScript output suitable for printing one-up, two-up, four-up and
so forth.

What I want to know is, do any of these support two-up printing in
SIGNATURE ORDER?  That is,

	<Pass 1>

	p16 ... p1
	p14 ... p3
	p12 ... p5
	p10 ... p7

	(put paper back into tray)

	<Pass 2>

	p8  ... p9
	p6  ... p11
	p4  ... p13
	p2  ... p15

so that the resulting two-pass output can be folded and stapled along
the midline and read as a "book"?

If anyone has this, let me know... otherwise I have to write it AGAIN
and I *hate* writing software :-)

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (04/04/91)

In article <25321806@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>We have heard of a whole bunch of utilities which translate ASCII text
>into PostScript output suitable for printing one-up, two-up, four-up and
>so forth.

>What I want to know is, do any of these support two-up printing in
>so that the resulting two-pass output can be folded and stapled along
>the midline and read as a "book"?

>If anyone has this, let me know... otherwise I have to write it AGAIN
>and I *hate* writing software :-)

Psxlate in Psroff 3.0 supports this.  Psroff 3.0 is about to be released
as soon as I get the last little bit of stuff about LJIII builtin font
support back from a tester.  Psxlate uses psnup to do n-up processing,
and will do a number of different page sorts, and new page sorts are easy
to add.  The document has to conform to the document structuring convention
for page reorder to work.  Does psnup work on your document?

Tom, if you need it right now I could mail you psxlate, but I don't want
to do yet another partial posting of psroff 3.0 stuff.
--
Chris Lewis,
clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca or ...uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis

ajcd@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Angus Duggan) (04/06/91)

In article <25321806@bfmny0.BFM.COM>, tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
> We have heard of a whole bunch of utilities which translate ASCII text
> into PostScript output suitable for printing one-up, two-up, four-up and
> so forth.
>
> What I want to know is, do any of these support two-up printing in
> SIGNATURE ORDER?  That is,
> so that the resulting two-pass output can be folded and stapled along
> the midline and read as a "book"?
>
> If anyone has this, let me know... otherwise I have to write it AGAIN
> and I *hate* writing software :-)
I've just posted a set of utilities to alt.sources which performs this
function, among others. Page selection, ordering into signatures, reversal,
merging, and other functions are supported.

A.
--
Angus Duggan, Department of Computer Science,	| I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.
University of Edinburgh, JCMB,			| JANET:  ajcd@uk.ac.ed.lfcs