[comp.lang.postscript] Needed: A Simple Plot Routine

ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Vincent Huffaker) (04/04/91)

Hi!

I just discovered this group so please forgive me
if this is a FAQ.

I need to locate a program to generate simple x-y plots
(in postscript).  We're getting a couple of Sun
workstations in (SPARC2) and we're standardizing on Postscript.
We need a way to make simple plots.

Does anybody have any such code (or know of where
it can be obtained)?  We have C and FORTRAN compilers.

I'm sure that there's all kind of software we can
buy (e.g., PV-Wave), but we don't want to spend
a whole lot of money (at this point, anyway).

Thanks,
Vincent Huffaker
e-mail = ah314368@longs.lance.colostate.edu
No, I don't have a .sig file and thanks so much for reminding me.

kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin Thompson) (04/04/91)

In article <13962@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Vincent Huffaker) writes:
>I need to locate a program to generate simple x-y plots (in postscript).
>We're getting a couple of Sun workstations in (SPARC2) and we're
>standardizing on Postscript.  We need a way to make simple plots.
>
>Does anybody have any such code (or know of where
>it can be obtained)?  We have C and FORTRAN compilers.

I like jgraph -- posted to comp.sources.misc on January 5, thus available
from uunet.uu.net in dir comp.sources.misc or some such.  The author is Jim
Plank, jsp@princeton.edu.  Written in C, it has a pretty flexible input
language to specify graph layouts labels etc.

Kevin Thompson
--
kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov     NASA-Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA

toms@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Tom Schneider) (04/05/91)

(Vincent Huffaker) writes:

>I need to locate a program to generate simple x-y plots (in postscript).

The xyplo program is available by anonymous ftp from ncifcrf.gov in the
directory pub/delila.  Get all the files that begin with 'xy' in binary mode.
One of them is the program in Pascal, another is the same in C.  To compile in
C, you will also need 'p2c.h.Z'.  Example input files are given.  Output is in
PostScript.  Documentation is in the source code.  Questions, problems or
comments?  Email to me.  Also, please tell me what happens if you do try the
program.

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms@ncifcrf.gov

composer@chem.bu.edu (Jeff Kellem) (04/06/91)

In article <13962@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Vincent Huffaker) writes:
 > I need to locate a program to generate simple x-y plots
 > (in postscript).  We're getting a couple of Sun
 > workstations in (SPARC2) and we're standardizing on Postscript.
 > We need a way to make simple plots.
 >
 > Does anybody have any such code (or know of where
 > it can be obtained)?  We have C and FORTRAN compilers.

Check out gnuplot, currently at version 2.0 patchlevel 2.  It is
available via anonymous ftp from cs.duke.edu.  The command language is
easy to use.  Gnuplot can be setup to display/print on various types of
devices, including X windows and PostScript; it comes with a nice array
of supported devices.  A patch to support "dumb" devices was recently
sent to developers and debuggers of gnuplot; I haven't checked it out
yet, but if it works, I would suspect that it would be included in the
next release.  But, on the other hand, I'm only an interested observer.  ;-)

Enjoy...

			-jeff

Jeff Kellem
Internet: composer@chem.bu.edu

lampard@janus.trl.oz (Greg Lampard) (04/08/91)

In article <11585@ptolemy-ri.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>, kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin Thompson) writes:
> In article <13962@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Vincent Huffaker) writes:
>>I need to locate a program to generate simple x-y plots (in postscript).
>>We're getting a couple of Sun workstations in (SPARC2) and we're
>>standardizing on Postscript.  We need a way to make simple plots.
>>
>>Does anybody have any such code (or know of where
>>it can be obtained)?  We have C and FORTRAN compilers.
>
> I like jgraph -- posted to comp.sources.misc on January 5, thus available
> from uunet.uu.net in dir comp.sources.misc or some such.  The author is Jim
> Plank, jsp@princeton.edu.  Written in C, it has a pretty flexible input
> language to specify graph layouts labels etc.
>
> Kevin Thompson
> --
> kthompso@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov     NASA-Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA

I looked at jgraph, but I prefer gnuplot.  Mostly because the default
graphs look nicer (with two very minor modifications to the PostScript file)
and it supports terminals other than PostScript so you can preview and plot
graphs with the same package.  Also written in C and has a flexible input
language to control the form of the plot.

Send mail to pixar!info-gnuplot@sun.com for further information. (I can't
find the ftp address that I got it from, sorry)

Greg

  Greg Lampard					    Optical Networks Section
  Internet:  g.lampard@trl.oz.au     Telecom Australia Research Laboratories
     Phone:  +61 3 541 6360		    770 Blackburn Rd, Clayton.  3168
       Fax:  +61 3 543 3339				Victoria,  Australia.