[comp.lang.postscript] SPARCprinter problems

rdong@MSRI.ORG (Rui-Tao Dong) (04/09/91)

	--- Stuff deleted -----

>|>    3. How to I change the default resolution on the SPARCprinter?
>|>       300dpi/400dpi ? (sun did not leave us any manuals!)
>
>There's a utility included with PreLimn.  If you print using pl
>instead of lpr, you can do
>
>% pl file :res400
>
>to get 400 dpi (and conversely, :res300 to get 300 dpi).  The printer
>can be set up to default to whichever resolution you like, so if you
>want a particular resolution, it would be best to specify it.
>
>The res400 macro inserts postscript into your document, something like:
>/setres where {pop 400 setres} if
>
>I've spoken to at least one person on the net who has a dvi-to-ps
>program that he's configured to do this automatically,  Unfortunately
>I can't remember the name.  Perhaps he'll read this and post again?
>
>-- Rich

	I'm reposting the article I posted before.

	Thanks to rberlin@birdlandEng.Sun.COM (Rich Berlin), I'm able to
print at 400 dpi on our SparcPrinter now. The trick is to inject the
following PostScript code into the psfile you are going to print.
%@(#)resolution400.ps	1.4	10/15/90
/SetResolution {
	/setres where {
		/setres get exec
	}{
		pop
	} ifelse
} def

%%BeginFeature *SetResolution 400
400 SetResolution
%% EndFeature

	I have a solution for TeX and dvips users. Suppose your
SparcPrinter is also called "Goudy" as we do. Put the above ps code into a
file named "resolution400.ps" and place it in the directory where dvips
finds its header file tex.pro. Copy config.ps into config.Goudy and add the
folllowing lines to it.

*	This is a comment line.
*
*	set default resolution
*
D 400
*
*	include the file "resolution400.ps"
*
h resolution400.ps
*
*	send it to Goudy and suppress printing the bursting page
*
o !lpr -PGoudy -h
*
*

	When you need to print a dvi file at 400 dpi, all you need to do is
to type dvips -PGoudy file.dvi and then go to the Printer Goudy to pick up
the pages.

	Make sure that you have the 400 dpi pk fonts (unless you are using
ps fonts), or you have MakeTeXPK installed correctly.

Regards,

	Rui - Tao  Dong         |       (415) 237 - 7628 (H)
	110 Lakeshore Court     |       (415) 643 - 6048 (O)
	Richmond, CA 94804      |       rdong@borel.msri.org