[comp.lang.postscript] AST Turbolaser/PS rejecting changes?

cbell@hydra.acs.uci.edu (Chris Bell) (04/07/91)

I am having a problem with an AST Turbolaser/PS printer.  It is
currently configured for hardware handshaking, and I need xon/xoff.

When I send the standard code that does the exitserver (with the
CORRECT password) and then the setsccbatch,  it comes back with the
following: %%[ Error: invalidaccess; OffendingCommand: setsccbatch ]%%

I haven't heard back from my calls to AST support, and am really
frustrated about this.  It seems that the exitserver works, but I
cannot change anything.  How can I change to xon/xoff?
Any help would be appreciated...

complete session follows.

Chris Bell
Distributed Computing Support, University of California, Irvine
cbell@uci.edu

[start up kermit to connect to printer]
[^T] %%[ status: idle ]%%
[executive]
PostScript(r) Version 47.0
Copyright (c) 1984, '85, '86, '87 Adobe Systems Inc.
Copyright (c) 1981 Linotype     All Rights Reserved.
PS>statusdict begin 25 sccbatch exch pop
PS>0 eq {stop} if
PS>serverdict begin 0 exitserver
%%[ exitserver: permanent state may be changed ]%%
[executive]
PostScript(r) Version 47.0
Copyright (c) 1984, '85, '86, '87 Adobe Systems Inc.
Copyright (c) 1981 Linotype     All Rights Reserved.
PS>statusdict begin 25 9600 0 setsccbatch
%%[ Error: invalidaccess; OffendingCommand: setsccbatch ]%%
PS>[^D]
[^T] %%[ status: idle ]%%

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (04/07/91)

Chris Bell writes
> When I send the standard code that does the exitserver (with the
> CORRECT password) and then the setsccbatch,  it comes back with the
> following: %%[ Error: invalidaccess; OffendingCommand: setsccbatch ]%%
>
> I haven't heard back from my calls to AST support, and am really
> frustrated about this.  It seems that the exitserver works, but I
> cannot change anything.  How can I change to xon/xoff?
> Any help would be appreciated...

> complete session follows.
[ deleted ]

I think your problem is that exitserver doesn't do what you expect in
executive mode.  You should send the job down as a batch job, not in
interactive mode.  A "job" in interactive mode is, I believe, only the
current line you're typing, so exitserver doesn't last until the next
line (or the next invocation of executive).

I'm not positive that's the problem, but it is my recollection that
exitserver won't work like you would expect in interactive mode.  Try
it as a batch job, and see if that works.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (04/08/91)

In article <27FE29F0.19714@orion.oac.uci.edu> cbell@hydra.acs.uci.edu (Chris Bell) writes:
<
<[start up kermit to connect to printer]
<[^T] %%[ status: idle ]%%
<[executive]
<PostScript(r) Version 47.0
<Copyright (c) 1984, '85, '86, '87 Adobe Systems Inc.
<Copyright (c) 1981 Linotype     All Rights Reserved.
<PS>statusdict begin 25 sccbatch exch pop
<PS>0 eq {stop} if
<PS>serverdict begin 0 exitserver
<%%[ exitserver: permanent state may be changed ]%%
<[executive]
<PostScript(r) Version 47.0
<Copyright (c) 1984, '85, '86, '87 Adobe Systems Inc.
<Copyright (c) 1981 Linotype     All Rights Reserved.
<PS>statusdict begin 25 9600 0 setsccbatch
<%%[ Error: invalidaccess; OffendingCommand: setsccbatch ]%%
<PS>[^D]
<[^T] %%[ status: idle ]%%

Why did you execute executive twice?  Isn't once enough.  The line right
above that is an informational message and shouldn't cause a problem.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\          spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph Jackson) (04/09/91)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.postscript: 8-Apr-91 Re: AST
Turbolaser/PS rejec.. Vidiot@vidiot.UUCP (1107)

> Why did you execute executive twice?  Isn't once enough.  The line right
> above that is an informational message and shouldn't cause a problem.

You have to re-invoke the "executive" operator after using "exitserver".
 If you know what "exitserver" does, this shouldn't be a surprise.
Suffice it to say that the interpreter loop running under "executive"
gets exited when you use "exitserver".

Joe Jackson
Distributed Workstation Services
Carnegie Mellon University