to a postscript printer, the characters come out looking like little
nibbles have been take out of them.  Has anyone modified this for a
more pleasing effect?  The postscript code seems to be using the
"setrgbcolor" operator to produce the change, but I don't have a
color laser printer.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (04/11/91)

From: ggurman@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Gail Gurman)

I had the same problem.  Whoever decided that fading the characters is
a good redline method didn't know anything about word processing.

Anyway, there are two things (that I know of) that you can do.  First,
you can use PTR /AFC to tell WP, under Automatic Font Changes, to use
a different font.  What I did was to tell WP to use Courier instead of
Times Roman.  In this way, you make redlined text at least look very
different to regular text.

The second thing you can do is to get the better postscript fonts.  You
didn't say what kind of printer you have.  We have an IBM 4012 Laser
Printer (Postscript).  When we had the problem you have, it was when
we just had the normal Postscript option.  When we traded it in for
the deluxe version (the difference is just a font card), the redline
problem went away.  I don't know why, but it did.

Hope this helps.

Gail

Send mail to:	ggurman@cory.Berkeley.EDU