[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript interpreter

jlv@cs.brown.edu (Jeff Vogel) (02/08/90)

Does anyone know of any software, public domain or not, that
can parse postscript output from any drawing program and
convert it back to some typed format?

  Jeff Vogel                      |  PO Box 5173
  jlv@cs.brown.edu                |  Brown University
  uunet!brunix!jlv                |  Providence, RI 02912
  jlv@browncs.bitnet              |  401-863-7637, 401-421-6496

bobs (Bob Stayton, Yoyodoc) (02/09/90)

In article <28315@brunix.UUCP> jlv@cs.brown.edu (Jeff Vogel) writes:
>Does anyone know of any software, public domain or not, that
>can parse postscript output from any drawing program and
>convert it back to some typed format?

The latest PC Publishing magazine reviews Arts & Letters
Graphics Editor 2.0 that includes a stand-alone conversion
utility named Decipher that can "read and translate
virtually any Postcript file", including custom-written
programs.  It translates the file to their native .GED file
format, and you can edit with their program, or you can
export it to a couple of other file formats.  The company
is Computer Support Corporation (214)661-8960.  I have no
affiliation with them, and I haven't actually used the
product yet.  I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has.

bobs
Bob Stayton
Technical Publications
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
425 Encinal Street
Santa Cruz, CA  95060
(408) 425-7222
...!uunet!sco!bobs

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (02/09/90)

In article <2173@scorn.sco.COM>, bobs (Bob Stayton, Yoyodoc) writes:

> >Does anyone know of any software, public domain or not, that
> >can parse postscript output from any drawing program and
> >convert it back to some typed format?
>
> The latest PC Publishing magazine reviews Arts & Letters
> Graphics Editor 2.0 that includes a stand-alone conversion
> utility named Decipher that can "read and translate
> virtually any Postcript file", including custom-written

I have been using A & L rather extensively.  It works well.  Even though
I have sent in my registration card, and recieved the co-processor version,
I still have not recieve Decipher, or the remaining clip art that is promised
for returning the card.  Evidently, the good folk are a tad behind, or the
product has not been released yet.  I don't know which, and I am waiting
for it to come.  When It does, I'll post a summary of how well it works.

Larry Spence who did a lot of A&L follows this group, and can probably
shed some light on the topic.  How about it, Larry?

Cheers
Woody

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) (02/10/90)

In article <17892@rpp386.cactus.org> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
>In article <2173@scorn.sco.COM>, bobs (Bob Stayton, Yoyodoc) writes:
>>
>> >Does anyone know of any software, public domain or not, that
>> >can parse postscript output from any drawing program and
>> >convert it back to some typed format?
>>
>> The latest PC Publishing magazine reviews Arts & Letters
>> Graphics Editor 2.0 that includes a stand-alone conversion
>> utility named Decipher that can "read and translate
>> virtually any Postcript file", including custom-written
>
>I have been using A & L rather extensively.  It works well.  Even though
>I have sent in my registration card, and recieved the co-processor version,
>I still have not recieve Decipher, or the remaining clip art that is promised
>for returning the card.  Evidently, the good folk are a tad behind, or the
>product has not been released yet.  I don't know which, and I am waiting
>for it to come.  When It does, I'll post a summary of how well it works.
>
>Larry Spence who did a lot of A&L follows this group, and can probably
>shed some light on the topic.  How about it, Larry?

Disclaimer:  I am an employee of Computer Support Corp., publishers of
Arts & Letters.  Product info follows which will be boring to many.  Hit
"n" before it's too late!

If Woody didn't get his Decipher and extra clip-art, he should call our
sales department at (214) 661-8960.  I can personally guarantee that both
Decipher and the extra clip art have been shipping in large volumes since
at least November (October?).  Anyone who sends in a registration card
should get all the goodies.  The latest release as of 2/9/89 is v2.02.

In brief, Decipher is a software interpreter which renders PostScript
graphics into the A&L file format.  If your PS has a loop that draws
100 Beziers, the A&L file will contain 100 Beziers.  If there are images
in the PS file, they get translated into TIFF files, and are linked to
the A&L file.  Decipher reads the "flat" Illustrator/Freehand formats,
but can also build general dictionaries, execute conditionals, etc.  Once
the PS file is in A&L-native format, A&L can read it and export it as CGM,
SCODL, TIFF, EPS, or Windows Metafiles.

I've already posted way too much on A&L in previous postings, so if you
have further questions, please call our Sales or Tech Support people.
Thanx.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat

jfb@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Jamie Bradford) (04/16/91)

I'm looking for a program which converts a postscript file to an
HPGL file or an HP compatible bitmap.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please respond by e-mail to jfb@naucse.cse.nau.edu.

Jamie Bradford