	Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 15:26:57 PDT
	From: orthlieb@adobe.com (Carl Orthlieb)
	To: makmur@paul.rutgers.edu
	Subject: Re:  help with PS

	Unfortunately, I have no idea how Apple keeps track of the different
	versions of LaserPrep in the printer. From what I can tell of the
	LaserPrep itself, there is no version information included in the
	LaserPrep procset.

	When you figure it out, you should post to the network -> a
	lot of people ask this question!  What Apple does with
	LaserPrep is not really known to us,
	we have no formal agreement to exchange information on LaserPrep
	related	problems.

	Carl 86)

In article <Apr.16.12.24.41.1991.27372@paul.rutgers.edu> makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) writes:

> Does any one know how to find out what version of the LaserPrep is
> loaded  in the LaserWriter ? What I would like to do is to always
> check the version of the prep loaded into the printer. If the version
> is not the approved one, reset the printer and laod a the approve prep
> file. Kind a like what the Mac is doing when it start a print job.

Well, this is a kind of silly but I just found out the way to do this
right after I posted my message. Anyway, I foun dout the answer in
Apple laserwriter driver. Here is the code that will reset the printer
if the prep file loaded is not version 70

%!PSAdobe
/md where{/md get /av get cvi 70 eq{(1)}{ systemdict /quit get exec
}ifelse}{(0)}ifelse = flush
%%reset if prep is not version 7.0

I hope others can use it.

Hanz Makmur