[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript Language Journal

Just received my latest issue of PLJ, and I must say I am impressed.

Very impressed.

The first two were good, well, a little bit better than just good,
but issue #3 is absolutely outstanding. The insights into color
printing were excellent.

Two questions:

	What is all this Ikarus stuff ? Details anybody ?

	Why were the color illustrations (except for the color fountain)
	so pale ? They looked like they wern't saturated enough.

Also, a strange observation: on page mumble-mumble (damn, left the
issue at work) there appears to be a 1 point, white, vertical line
streaking down through all the text. Errant software perhaps ?

--
       "Well they say, that Santa Fe, is more, than 90 miles away"

{ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!richard || richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

basin@hub.ucsb.edu (Krik Ziegler) (12/24/87)

In article <2612@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>Just received my latest issue of PLJ, and I must say I am impressed.

 What is the address for subscriptions?
        Jim Lick

hburford@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (12/24/87)

In article <254@hub.ucsb.edu> basin@hub.UUCP (Krik Ziegler) writes:
>In article <2612@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>Just received my latest issue of PLJ, and I must say I am impressed.
>>
> What is the address for subscriptions?
>        Jim Lick

Got a copy sitting here in front of me.....   Its:
The PostScript Language Journal
Box 5763
Parsippany, NJ 07054

$15/Yr (4 issues)  or   $25/2yr   (8 issues)
Canada/Mexico +$2/yr.   Overseas +$4/yr or +$10/airmail

I think you will enjoy it.           Harry.Burford@Wichita.NCR.COM

--
Harry Burford - NCR E & M Wichita, Printer Engineering
PHONE:   316-688-8016

stephenf@softway.oz (Stephen Frede) (05/27/88)

Is the PostScript language journal still alive and well?
After receiving exactly 2 issues, I have heard no more.
Has anyone received any further issues?

			Regards,

				- Stephen Frede

Softway Pty Ltd, P.O. Box 305, Strawberry Hills, NSW 2012, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 698 2322; Fax: +61 2 699 9174; Telex: AA27987
ACSnet: stephenf@softway.oz	UUCP: ...!uunet!softway.oz!stephenf

hburford@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (05/30/88)

In article <361@softway.oz> stephenf@softway.oz (Stephen Frede) writes:
|>Is the PostScript language journal still alive and well?
|>After receiving exactly 2 issues, I have heard no more.
|>Has anyone received any further issues?
|>				- Stephen Frede

Yes, PLJ is alive and well.   I just received an issue here recently.
I believe it is published quarterly, so don't look for it every
month.

--
Harry Burford - NCR E & M Wichita, Printer Engineering
PHONE:   316-636-8016

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/30/88)

hburford@enprt.UUCP (Harry Burford) writes:
> Yes, PLJ is alive and well.   I just received an issue here recently.
> I believe it is published quarterly, so don't look for it every month.

	Don't look for it every quarter, either.  Just a couple of weeks
ago I too was starting to wonder if I would ever see another PSJ.  Then the
latest quarterly issue showed up.  Looking through my files I discovered
that previous to this, the last quarterly issue I got was about 3 quarters
ago.  I do suspect that PSJ is running into trouble.  I mean, what are they
going to do for material when they finish their (somewhat silly) tutorial
series on PS operators?
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

hburford@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (05/31/88)

In article <3326@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
|>hburford@enprt.UUCP (Harry Burford) writes:
|>> Yes, PLJ is alive and well.   I just received an issue here recently.
|>
|>	Don't look for it every quarter, either.  Just a couple of weeks
|>ago I too was starting to wonder if I would ever see another PSJ.  Then the
latest quarterly issue showed up
Roy Smith, System Administrator

Yes, but wasn't that spiffy cover worth the wait?   :-)

--

johnr@runx.ips.oz (John Rotenstein) (05/31/88)

> Is the PostScript language journal still alive and well?

I've got Vol 1, No 3 in my hands, dated 'third issue 1987' and 'June 1987'.

For those who don't know of it, it's an excellent (if not only) magazine
on PostScript for users of all levels. There's even a "Graphics to the Editor"
section!!

The official word...

The PostScript Language Journal, ISSN 0891-5873, is published quarterly by
Pipeline Associates, Inc. Singles issues are $5 plus postage and handling.
Subscriptions are $15 for one year and $25 for two. Overseas add $4/year for
surface mail, $10/year for airmail. Address to PO Box 5763, Parsippany,
NJ 07054.

OK?  OK!

JR

andy@coma.UUCP (Andreas Lampen) (06/01/88)

In article <361@softway.oz> stephenf@softway.oz (Stephen Frede) writes:
>Is the PostScript language journal still alive and well?
>After receiving exactly 2 issues, I have heard no more.
>Has anyone received any further issues?

No, but a few weeks ago I received a letter from McQueen Ltd., a
Scottish company involved in the DTP market (as they wrote).
I have never heard of this company before.

The letter roughly contained the following:
  They apologized for the delay of the *premier issue* (???) of the
  *PostScript International Journal* and wrote that it will now be
  distributed in April '88.
  Subscription charges are 20 Pounds (UK), 22 Pounds (Europe) and
  24 Pounds (elsewhere).

I began to understand the letter, when I read the very last sentence:
  "Please note that for copyright reasons, the American PostScript Language
  Journal is not for sale outside the USA".

I do not know how similar the PostScript Language Journal and the
International PostScript Journal are because I have seen neither
of them up to now.
But it seems sure, that the PostScript Language Journal cannot be
distributed outside the USA any longer.

I am still waiting
		   Andy

P.S.: The address is:
	The PostScript International Journal
	P.O.Box 52
	Edinburgh
	EH3 5AW
	Scotland
--
Andreas Lampen, TU Berlin
UUCP:   andy@coma (unido!coma!andy)

shiva@well.sf.ca.us (Kenneth Porter) (12/25/90)

Several people have sent me mail wanting to know about the
PostScript Journal.  Since then, I found an email address for
Pipeline Associates, its publisher (but I haven't tried it).

From the devps manual:

Pipeline Associates, Inc.
39 E. 12th Street.
New York City, NY 10003
(212)598-4650
{ihnp4,harpo}!pipelin!mail

From the devps invoice:

Pipeline Associates, Inc.
239 Main Street
West Orange, NJ 07052
(201)731-7860

Ken (shiva@well.sf.ca.us)

friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US (Stephen J. Friedl) (12/26/90)

Ken Porter posts the addresses of Pipeline Associates:

< Pipeline Associates, Inc.
< 39 E. 12th Street.
< New York City, NY 10003
< (212)598-4650
< {ihnp4,harpo}!pipelin!mail		<--- this is really old

< Pipeline Associates, Inc.		<--- This is the correct USmail address
< 239 Main Street
< West Orange, NJ 07052
< (201)731-7860

uunet!motown!pipeline!{user}		<--- correct email address

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY  /  3B2-kind-of-guy  /  Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

Why not add Hollerith fields to printf()?

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (02/14/91)

Several peoples have been asking about the PostScript Language
Journal.  I also entered a subscription last year.  The last version
I saw was Volume 2 number 3.  Haven't seen one since.  Also, they
never put the date of publication in their journal, so it's hard to
determine when it was printed.  Anybody know what's happened to this
outfit?  Does Pat Wood read this newsgroup?

	........  Henry

shiva@well.sf.ca.us (Kenneth Porter) (04/18/91)

Pipeline has sold the PostScript Journal.
The new publisher is

ImageSoft
2 Haven Ave
Port Washington, NY 11050
516-767-2233

If somebody gets an email address for them, please post it here.

Ken (shiva@well.sf.ca.us)