[comp.lang.postscript] Adobe FAX line?

shiva@well.sf.ca.us (Kenneth Porter) (04/18/91)

graham@cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:

> Incidentally, Adobe has a new service to provide you with
> various documents, including typeface sample pages, via fax.
> It's 1-800-235-0078. Not bad.

Could you elaborate on this?  How does one use it?

Ken (shiva@well.sf.ca.us)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (04/19/91)

shiva@well.sf.ca.us (Kenneth Porter) writes:
> graham@cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
> > Incidentally, Adobe has a new service to provide you with
> > various documents, including typeface sample pages, via fax.
> > It's 1-800-235-0078. Not bad.
> Could you elaborate on this?  How does one use it?

Find a telephone.  It's a device like a funny little terminal with a
restricted keyboard and a voice interface ("handset") instead of a display.
Have someone show you how to use the voice-interface device, then enter the
sequence of numbers Stephen posted.  Don't try to enter the "-"; that
doesn't exist on the telephone "keyboard".  Follow the menus.

Seriously...it's a fairly useful service except that the typeface samples
(at least the ones I got) were scanned in rather than converted directly.
Frankly, they don't look very good; it makes it hard to judge the real
characteristics of the font...although at least it's obvious enough that
you can see it and make allowances for it.  (Why dey do dat, anyway???  I'd
think Adobe would be masters of scan-conversion, and FAX isn't *that*
hard.)
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...While you were reading this, Motif grew by another kilobyte.

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (04/19/91)

shiva@well.sf.ca.us (Kenneth Porter) writes:

> graham@cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
>
> > Incidentally, Adobe has a new service to provide you with
> > various documents, including typeface sample pages, via fax.
> > It's 1-800-235-0078. Not bad.
>
> Could you elaborate on this?  How does one use it?

You just dial up and answer the questions via touchtone phone.

I am AMAZED at how Adobe seems to keep doing "the right thing". This fax
line is a wealth of useful information (it will send you sample sheets of
various fonts, etc) and once again puts them way ahead of money-grubbing
dinosauric swine like Linotype.

Seriously, just call the number and check it out. The line is toll free and
it sends stuff to your fax machine in under 15 seconds. (I timed it).

Thank you Adobe, for continuing to be an oassis of customer satifaction in a
woefully fierce and practitioner-hostile industry.

  asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca         The Chameleon Papers - Vancouver, BC
                   Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy - NeXT user
   Human beings are a great disappointment to me, and it doesn't help one
                       bit that I am one  --SF
                   Fingers Down The Throat Of Love

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr18.192524.22509@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>Seriously...it's a fairly useful service except that the typeface samples
>(at least the ones I got) were scanned in rather than converted directly.

You know something's up when you can see HOLE PUNCH shadows on the left
side of the page!

Also, am I the only one to see a fat black stripe down the middle of
some of the sample pages, like Stone Informal?  Are they doing this to
the "hot" fonts to protect their investment?  If so, I don't know why
they worry, given the scan quality of the sample pages.

The cover sheet looks computer generated.  I wish Adobe would move the
rest of FaxBack into the 90's.
--
"The thought of being President frightens me and I    @-@  Tom Neff
do not think I want the job." -- Ronald Reagan, 1973  \_/  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM