[comp.lang.postscript] Glenn Reid's Thinking in PostScript

anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/22/91)

I've been asked by a correspondent to supply more
information about Glenn Reid's book.  My correspondent also
asks whether the posting of book reviews might be
appropriate for these newsgroups, an idea with which I
enthusiastically agree.

Glenn is a frequent poster here, and has delicately not
referred to his book.  For a long time, he has been a major
source of reliable and useful information about PostScript.
He's currently at RightBrain software, makers of TouchType
(apparently as a consultant).  Before that he was at NeXT,
before that at Adobe.  It seems reasonable to conclude he
knows what he's talking about.

He is unfailingly a pleasant person who seems genuinely
committed to the idea that it's good to help people who want
to learn useful things.

He's also the author of PostScript Language Program Design,
published by Adobe/Addison-Wesley.

I can't review the book, which I've only just obtained and
have only skimmed.  But for those who are interested in PS
programming, here's the publication data.

   Reid, Glenn C.
   Thinking in PostScript
   ISBN 0-201-52372-8
   Addison-Wesley (list $22.95 in the US)
   xiii+221p.

From the Preface:

"This book is intended to provide a practical, intriguing,
 and fresh look at the PostScript programming language....
 This book helps you build a solid foundation of
 understanding for the PsotScript language.  It teaches you
 to become an expert programmer and to have confidence that
 you have written the best possible PostScript program.  It
 shows you how to combine the elements of the langugage into
 a strong, well-designed, modular program that is easy to
 develop and maintain.  It is not a problem-solving book,
 nor simply a reference to the language; it is a guide to
 developing programming techniques and to learning how to
 use the PostScript tool kit, which is filled with hundreds
 of operators."

Disclaimer: I have no relevant connection with any entity or
person mentioned above.

<> Human affairs are not serious, but they have to be taken
<> seriously. -- Iris Murdoch
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr22.123026.23299@macc.wisc.edu> anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
   whether the posting of book reviews might be
   appropriate for these newsgroups, an idea with which I
   enthusiastically agree.

Bar none, my favorite intro-to-PostScript book is:

  Learning PostScript, A Visual Approach
  Ross Smith
  ISBN# 0-938-151-12-6
  $22.95
  PeachPit Press
    1085 Keith Ave
    Berkeley, CA 94708
    415 527 8555
    415 524 9775 (fax)
    800 283 9444

The book consists of a page of PostScript graphics faced by a page
which contains the PostScript code necessary to generate the image.

The book nicely proceeds from the simple to the sublime, and embodies
an interactive learning technique. I heartily recommend it.
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

keithp@nwnexus.WA.COM (Keith Pleas) (04/23/91)

30@maraba.tamu.edu writes:
>Bar none, my favorite intro-to-PostScript book is:
>
>  Learning PostScript, A Visual Approach
>  Ross Smith

I liked the book so much I ordered the disk; took a LONG time
to get it (about 2 months), but it saves a LOT of typing :-)
Also, the author (Ross Smith) hangs out on the Genie Postscript
Roundtable.