[comp.lang.postscript] get

mcintosh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (aubrey mcintosh) (04/23/91)

We have a scientific text editor that allows chemical formulas to be
drawn and printed.

In the preamble, this software defines a procedure using get.
Our printer objects to get.  SO I have a page of postscript that
I can edit and print, deleting references to get.  Good, but not
close enough.

What does get do?  Is this perhaps in old versions of Apple's
setup program?

--
Aubrey McIntosh  /  Chemistry  /  University of Texas  /  Austin, TX 78712
..another Gaelic learner...

msf@rotary.Central.Sun.COM (Mike Fischbein) (04/23/91)

In article <47679@ut-emx.uucp> mcintosh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (aubrey mcintosh) writes:

>In the preamble, this software defines a procedure using get.
>Our printer objects to get.  SO I have a page of postscript that
>I can edit and print, deleting references to get.  Good, but not
>close enough.
>
>What does get do?  Is this perhaps in old versions of Apple's
>setup program?

get is an operator in the fundamental, level 1, original, whatever
you want to call it, implementation of PostScript.  It gets a
single element from a specified array, dictionary, or string.

If your printer is objecting to get as an operator, its PS implementation
is in serious trouble.  More likely, the array or dictionary it is
attempting to reference is not available.  You may need to download
the appropriate prolog file (ie, your software expects something to
already be loaded in the printer).

		mike

--
Michael Fischbein,  Technical Consultant, Sun Professional Services
Sun Albany, NY  518-783-9613         michael.fischbein@east.sun.com

kevind@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Kevin Draz) (04/24/91)

In article <5675@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> msf@rotary.Central.Sun.COM (Mike Fischbein) writes:
>In article <47679@ut-emx.uucp> mcintosh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (aubrey mcintosh) writes:
>
>>In the preamble, this software defines a procedure using get.
>>Our printer objects to get.  SO I have a page of postscript that
>>I can edit and print, deleting references to get.  Good, but not
>>close enough.
>>
>>What does get do?  Is this perhaps in old versions of Apple's
>>setup program?

The error is something like "error: undefined; offendingcommand: get",
right?  This means not that the get operator is not known to the
interpreter, but that the index into the given composite object is invalid,
i.e. unknown key for dictonary types, or element integer out of range for
strings, etc.

Your program is producing bad Postscript.  If you read carefully, you might
be able to modify the PS text to work, or contact the software publisher and
inform them of the bug.