[comp.lang.postscript] Books on PostScript?

karenk@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (Karen Klemm) (04/23/91)

I'm looking for titles of good reference books for PostScript and I have
a few questions:

	1) Should I go ahead and buy the Red, Blue and Green books?

	2) I've seen a really fat (2 1/2") orange-ish colored book called
		"PostScript Language Reference Manual, 2nd Edition".  Will
		this replace the original Red book?

	3) Are there any other books you can think of that are good for
		learning/programming PostScript?

Thanks in advance,
Karen Klemm

jchin@wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (04/25/91)

In article <790002@hpgrla.gr.hp.com> karenk@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (Karen Klemm) writes:
>I'm looking for titles of good reference books for PostScript and I have
>a few questions:
>
>	1) Should I go ahead and buy the Red, Blue and Green books?
>
>	2) I've seen a really fat (2 1/2") orange-ish colored book called
>		"PostScript Language Reference Manual, 2nd Edition".  Will
>		this replace the original Red book?
>
>	3) Are there any other books you can think of that are good for
>		learning/programming PostScript?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Karen Klemm

Get the Adobe Postscript reference manuals for sure!

I would also recommend Glenn Reid's "Thinking in Postscript". It is very
well written.

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

 * "Kill the body and the head will die" (Hunter S. Thompson) *
 *    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!   *
 ********** Joseph Chin --> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca *********

Ed Garay (u12570@uicvm.uic.edu) <U12570@uicvm.uic.edu> (04/25/91)

   karenk@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (Karen Klemm) asks:

   >I'm looking for titles of good reference books for PostScript and I have
   >a few questions:
   >   1) Should I go ahead and buy the Red, Blue and Green books?
   >   2) I've seen a really fat (2 1/2") orange-ish colored book called
   >      "PostScript Language Reference Manual, 2nd Edition".  Will
   >      this replace the original Red book?
   >   3) Are there any other books you can think of that are good for
   >      learning/programming PostScript?

I would recommend the PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook, by Adobe
Systems Incorporated, Adobe's (new) Second Edition of the PostScript
Language Reference Manual, and Peter Vollenweider's Encapsulated
PostScript book. Together, these three books provide a good introduction,
a definitive reference, and a practical perspective of the usage of
PostScript and Encapsulated PostScript files generated by numerous
application programs. [See bibliography of (most) PostScript books
available, at the end of this message.]

Additional books that I would recommend, particularly, as introductory
aides, are: Learning PostScript: A Visual Approach, Understanding
PostScript Programming, and Thinking in PostScript.

Following is a list of the books I have.

--- Ed Garay   "When will HP start selling the LaserJet IIIP? hmmm...."

--- PostScript Books ----------------------------------------------------

 1) PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook, (aka "the blue book"),
    by Adobe Systems Inc, Addison-Wesley, 1985.  ISBN 0-201-10179-3
 2) PostScript Language Reference Manual, (First Edition), (aka "the red
    book"), by Adobe Systems Inc, Addison-Wesley, 1985.  ISBN 0-201-10174-2
 3) PostScript Language Reference Manual, Second Edition, (aka "the new red
    book"), by Adobe Systems Inc, Addison-Wesley, 1990.  ISBN 0-201-18127-4
 4) PostScript Language Program Design, (aka "the green book"), by Adobe
    Systems Inc and Glenn Reid, Addison-Wesley, 1988.  ISBN 0-201-14396-8
 5) Encapsulated PostScript: Application Guide for the Macintosh and the PC,
    by Peter Vollenweider, Prentice Hall, 1990.  ISBN 0-13-275-843-1
 6) Thinking in PostScript, by Glenn Reid, Addison-Wesley, 1990.
    ISBN 0-201-52372-8
 7) Real World PostScript, (aka "the orange book"), by Stephen Roth,
    Addison-Wesley, 1988.  ISBN 0-201-06663-7
 8) Graphic Design with PostScript, by Gerald Kunkel,
    Scott, Foresman and Company, 1990.  ISBN 0-673-38794-1
 9) Understanding PostScript Programming, Second Edition,
    by David Holzgang, SYBEX, 1988.  ISBN 0-89588-566-2
10) Learning PostScript: A Visual Approach, by Ross Smith,
    Peachpit Press, 1990.  ISBN 0-938-151-12-6
11) Inside PostScript, by Frank Braswell, Systems of Merritt
    & Peachpit Press, 1989.  ISBN 0-938151-10-X
12) Adobe Type 1 Font Format, by Adobe Systems Inc, Addison-Wesley,
    1990.  ISBN 0-201-57044-0