[comp.lang.postscript] Desperately seeking library which emits trivial postscript

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (04/26/91)

I desperately need to do plots where the screen contains exactly
three kinds of objects:

	- dot (one pixel)
	- line (specified as (x1, y1, x2, y2)
	- text (specified as (x, y), font, pointsize and string).

I know no postscript as of right now.  Is there a sugar-coated
library whereby I can readily do this?  I can readily imagine a
library where I would issue calls in a certain coordinate system
(which I have to figure out) and nice postscript files would get
written.

C or Pascal are fine by me; I can also hand-translate fortran.

Thanks!

	-ans.

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                             The more things change, the more they stay insane.

mikes@ingres.com (Mike Schilling) (04/28/91)

# include <stdio.h>
void emit_trivial_postscript()
{
	printf("\nP.S. What's the capital of Mali?\n");
}

Compile this, and put the result into /usr/lib/libetp.a. Always glad
to help.  :-)
mikes@rtech.com = Mike Schilling, ASK Corporation, Alameda, CA
Just machines that make big decisions,
Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision.	-- Donald Fagen, "IGY"

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (04/28/91)

In article <32295@usc>, ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
> library whereby I can readily do this?  I can readily imagine a
> library where I would issue calls in a certain coordinate system

There is a firm here in Austin called  Barton Creek Software.
2222 Western Trails, Suite 106
Austin, Tx. 78745   512-441-8354

This company has just released an ANSI C postscript library.  It sells
for about $149.00 I think, and comes with source.  I was a beta tester
for it, and had a lot of input.  It is very nice.  It consists of a
collection of routines, that emit postscript code.  There is a very
complete set of ascii printing code, a full graphics and postscript
primative library, and some nice high level stuff.  There is also
an MS-DOS format file downloader.  It uses a user supplied routine
for it's output.  a sample of some of the calls.
ps_arcto	Draw an arc
ps_circle	Draw a circle
PS_curveto	Draw a Bexier curve
ps_ellipse	Draw an elipse
ps_fill		fill the current path
ps_line		Draw line
ps_poly		Draw a polygon
ps_polycurve	Draw multiple curves (one of my suggestions)
etc. etc.
There are well over 120 functions supplied.

Cheers
Woody

toms@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Tom Schneider) (04/29/91)

In article <32295@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>I desperately need to do plots where the screen contains exactly
>three kinds of objects:

>       - dot (one pixel)
>       - line (specified as (x1, y1, x2, y2)
>       - text (specified as (x, y), font, pointsize and string).

>I know no postscript as of right now.  Is there a sugar-coated
>library whereby I can readily do this?  I can readily imagine a
>library where I would issue calls in a certain coordinate system
>(which I have to figure out) and nice postscript files would get
>written.
>C or Pascal are fine by me; I can also hand-translate fortran.
>Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu

I have a set of Pascal routines that generate simple PostScript graphics as you
want (automatic translation to C failed for some reason).  They are available
now by anonymous ftp from ncifcrf.gov in pub/delila.  The program is in
dops.p.Z and the demo file is in dops.demo.Z.  You will have to make a routine
to modify font and pointsize on the fly.

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms@ncifcrf.gov

yount@fox.ece.cmu.edu (Charles Robert Yount) (04/30/91)

In article <32295@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

   I desperately need to do plots where the screen contains exactly
   three kinds of objects:

	   - dot (one pixel)
	   - line (specified as (x1, y1, x2, y2)
	   - text (specified as (x, y), font, pointsize and string).

   I know no postscript as of right now.  Is there a sugar-coated
   library whereby I can readily do this?  I can readily imagine a
   library where I would issue calls in a certain coordinate system
   (which I have to figure out) and nice postscript files would get
   written.

   C or Pascal are fine by me; I can also hand-translate fortran.

   Thanks!

	   -ans.

GNU has a set of graphics utilities available via anonymous ftp from
qed.rice.edu as /pub/graphics.tar.Z.  Along with replacements for the
Unix utilities plot and graph, it contains a very good postscript
library in C to draw circles, lines, text, dots, etc., etc.  As a
bonus, any PS file generated with these utilities is editable with
idraw!

Chuck Yount, CMU