[net.micro] ADVICE ON MODEMS

Pascale@OFFICE-8.arpa (08/10/86)

   HI EVERYONE I NEED SOME HELP. I AM BEING ASKED TO EVALUATE A PROCUREMENT
WHERE HAYES 1200B MODEMS WITH SMARTCOM WERE REQUESTED. A VENDOR CAME IN
WITH A PACKAGE PROPOSING A COMPATABLE MODEM CALLED PRACTICAL MODEM 1200
WITH THEIR SOFTWARE FROM A COMPANY CALLED PRACTICAL PERIPHERALS ( NEVER
HEARD OF THEM BEFORE ). MY INTUITION IS TO SAY NO, HOWEVER I NEED SOME
TECHNICAL REASONS IF THERE ARE ANY. MY QUESTION HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE
WITH THESE BABIES THEY WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH ME? I NEED SOME ADVICE
GOOD OR BAD IF NEGATIVE IALSO NEED SOME TECHNICAL REASONS WHY THEY AREN'T
AS COMPATABLE AS THE BROCHURE SAYS THEY ARE.
   THANKS IN ADVANCE.---- SEND REPLIES PLEASE TO

-------

ghenis.pasa@Xerox.COM (08/11/86)

Personally, I would never spend my money on a Hayes modem when you can
get  functional equivalents for half the price. If you feel uneasy about
a given modem, just get one and try it out to see if it will perform as
advertised. Many vendors will even give you a 30 day money back
guarantee, so you can't lose.

chapman@calder.Berkeley.EDU (Brent Chapman) (08/13/86)

In article <2955@brl-smoke.ARPA> ghenis.pasa@Xerox.COM writes:
>Personally, I would never spend my money on a Hayes modem when you can
>get  functional equivalents for half the price. If you feel uneasy about
>a given modem, just get one and try it out to see if it will perform as
>advertised. Many vendors will even give you a 30 day money back
>guarantee, so you can't lose.

I certainly agree.

All 4 of the modems I use regularly (a Prometheus 1200 RS-232, a
Prometheus 1200 Apple internal, an Avatex 1200 RS-232, and a Hayes
1200 IBM internal) are "Hayes-compatible".

The only one of the 4 that I have compatibility problems with is the
Hayes...  :-)  (for the curious:  It does funky stuff with the CTS
and RTS lines, and doesn't hangup when one of them (I forget which
one) is dropped, like it should, and it DOES hangup for some screwey
reason when you go into connect mode from command mode in Kermit...
Basicly, I don't use that machine for telecom any more...  :-)

Brent

--

Brent Chapman

chapman@calder.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!calder!chapman

(I'm usually chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu or ucbvax!pavepaws!chapman,
but pavepaws will be down with hardware problems for a while, so I'll
use calder in the meantime.)