[comp.lang.postscript] More than one "logical" page per "physical" page

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (05/02/91)

	Is there a short subprogram that can be {ap|pre}pended to a PostScript
file in order for the file to print multiple (logical) pages per (physical)
page?  DEC PostScript printers include this ability, but I haven't been able to
glean the method they use from what little related documention we have.

							Thanks,
							 Mike

 Internet: davism@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu |
            -or- DAVISM+@osu.edu           |   These Thoughts, They Be Mine
   BITNET: DAVISM+@OHSTMAIL.BITNET         |

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.004059.22300@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu> DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) writes:
<
<	Is there a short subprogram that can be {ap|pre}pended to a PostScript
<file in order for the file to print multiple (logical) pages per (physical)
<page?  DEC PostScript printers include this ability, but I haven't been able to
<glean the method they use from what little related documention we have.

I'm not sure what you mean by a logical page, but if you want the printer to
print more than one copy of the same page, then do: /#copies n def
where n is the number of copies you want printed each time a showpage is done.
That little ditty can be added anywhere in the prolog.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\          spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (05/07/91)

In article <1689@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>In article <1991May2.004059.22300@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu> DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) writes:
><	Is there a short subprogram that can be {ap|pre}pended to a PostScript
><file in order for the file to print multiple (logical) pages per (physical)
><page?

>I'm not sure what you mean by a logical page, but if you want the printer to
>print more than one copy of the same page ... <text deleted>

I believe that what he wants is "n" pages of printout to be placed onto a
single sheet of paper ... a "nUP" program.  Such a program was posted (here
I believe) a while ago ... not sure where you could FTP it from, but if you
can not find it, I might be able to find what was posted a while ago.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (05/09/91)

In article <3254@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
[...]

Ya, silly me.  The program to look for is "psnup".
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\          spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown
      rutgers/  decvax!nicmad/ INTERNET:vidiot!brown%astroatc@spool.cs.wisc.edu

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (05/09/91)

	Thanks to all who responded.  The overwhelming reponse was to look into
the psnup program, which allows printing of 2, 4, 8 or 16 pages per sheet of
paper.  I found the sources at uunet, in the comp.misc.sources archives.

rossc@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Ross Cartlidge) (05/14/91)

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>In article <3254@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
><In article <1689@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
><>In article <1991May2.004059.22300@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu> DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) writes:
><><	Is there a short subprogram that can be {ap|pre}pended to a PostScript
><><file in order for the file to print multiple (logical) pages per (physical)

Try my multi.ps. It works for almost all postscript- see another
article by me about the problems of bind for its short comings.

It is ftpable from:-

archive.su.oz.au (129.78.64.2)
in
pub/ps_printing/multi/*
Ross Rodney Cartlidge			    |   rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
University Computing Service, H08	    |   Phone:     +61 2 6923497
University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia   |   FAX:       +61 2 6606557