[comp.lang.postscript] Novice question: setgray

camcta@tasu11.UUCP (Amnon Cohen ) (05/13/91)

I use postscript to display diagrams which consist of small rectangles
of different colours (gray levels). When I print my diagrams on an
Apple laserwriterII, I find that the dots which make up the shading
are too large, which makes the diagram hard to read.

Is there an easy way to cause the setgray operator to use a finer screen
i.e. smaller dots in its shading?  Please mail replies to me.  I will
post a summary if there is any demand.

Many thanks,
	Amnon Cohen

Email: amnonb@taux01.nsc.com
Smail: Amnon Baron Cohen
       National Semiconductor

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (05/14/91)

In article <5843@taux01.nsc.com> amnonb@taux01.nsc.com (Amnon Cohen ) writes:
>I use postscript to display diagrams which consist of small rectangles
>of different colours (gray levels). When I print my diagrams on an
>Apple laserwriterII, I find that the dots which make up the shading
>are too large, which makes the diagram hard to read.
>
>Is there an easy way to cause the setgray operator to use a finer screen
>i.e. smaller dots in its shading?  Please mail replies to me.  I will
>post a summary if there is any demand.

According to Don Lancaster, this is the "best" gray:

106 45 {dup mul exch dup mul add 1.0 exch sub} setscreen

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE: