[net.micro] Info wanted on Ohio Scientific micro

qsfa1@unx1.UUCP (Graham Thomas) (07/19/86)

this for the lineater

A friend of mine has just inherited an ancient micro and would be
grateful for any information (especially a memory map) that anyone
can provide.  It's 6502-based and was made by Ohio Scientific, though
there's no model name visible.  It has a whole 24k of RAM and twin
8-inch floppies.  The only software he's got for it is a BASIC
interpreter, a database program that's only good for address files
and a primitive word processor.

I realise that this is very little information to go on, but would
be really glad to hear of any hints which might help us to identify
the beast and track down some documentation and software.

UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!cvaxa!unx1!qsfa1
JANET: qsfa1@uk.ac.sussex.vax2
phone: +44 273 686758 (Science Policy Research Unit)
               696119 (home)

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (08/10/86)

In article <119@unx1.UUCP> qsfa1@unx1.UUCP (Graham Thomas) writes:
>this for the lineater
>
>A friend of mine has just inherited an ancient micro and would be
>grateful for any information (especially a memory map) that anyone
>can provide.  It's 6502-based and was made by Ohio Scientific, though
>there's no model name visible.  It has a whole 24k of RAM and twin
>8-inch floppies.  The only software he's got for it is a BASIC
>interpreter, a database program that's only good for address files
>and a primitive word processor.

Hot dang!  The memories come back already...

Quick guide to (semi-) popular OSI boxes:
(only the Challenger series:)

If the keyboard is integral to the unit and it has wooden sides,
what you have is probably a C1-P, although I think the C-4 was
similar.

Otherwise, you should be looking at a detached keyboard and a large
steel case with a single reset switch for a processor box.  This
means you probably have either a C2 variant, or a C3.  I think
you would notice a C3 (triple processors, I think 6502, 6800, Z80)
so odds are it's a C2 variant.

If the box comes up with "D/W/M", what you have is the C8-P with
basic and dos on a disk, occupying 12.75k of memory.  I'm not
that familiar with the other old OSI's, so I'll go ahead and babble
about the C8P.

First, a warning.  The dual drives were (I think) made by Siemens, and
the control circuitry is very poor.  That is to say, never turn the
drive off/trip over the power cord with a disk inside, because it will
completely trash the disk.  Also, be sure you have pushed the floppy
all the way in, or else you'll experience a remarkable crunching sound
when you try to close the door, and the floppy will have a wrinkled
hub.  They are, of course, soft-sectored, single-density, single-sided.

Quick overview:  the display is selectable 64x32 or 32x32, based on the
setting of a switch location I can't remember.  In fact, the only
memory location I can remember right now is poking 2073 with the right
values enables/disables control-C.  The display is of course bitmapped,
and the keyboard is polled (of course it's polled, look at it, it's
a bit-paired layout).  In 32x32 mode, the display controller displays
the left half of the 64x32 bitmap, and I guess you've already browsed
the character set.  Yup, no true descenders.  The 8 little tanks from
248 through 255 are quite useful for games.  The UART, if I remember,
was a standard 6850, and I think you'll find that OSI basic (one of the
earliest Microsoft jobs) was very limited and if you disassemble it,
you'll find that it did lots of grungy things.

BTW, I guess I should point out that your friend is very fortunate to
have any editor at all; OSI didn't provide one.  As the company was
sold to a firm 1/10 their size and dismantled about 3 years ago,
getting old docs from them is highly unlikely.

Well, I don't remember too much else about the unit; it was the first
micro I hacked on, and except for the puny memory, I have somewhat fond
memories of it.  Oh, and also, the DISK!"IO ,8" business was gross.

-dave
--
David Hsu  (301) 454-1433 || -8798 || -8715	"I know no-thing!" -eneevax
Communications & Signal Processing Laboratory	/ EE Systems Staff

"Evil...pure and simple!"

ant3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Butch Anton) (08/13/86)

Since I didn't get to see the original article, please bear
with me.

For the person who posted the note about the OSI stuff:

Back when I was first learning about these wonderful little toys
they call computers, I learned on OSI machines. (Gasp!)  Therefore,
I have access to the documentation for most all of them.  In fact,
I have access to someone who can REPAIR the things, correctly.

Therefore, when you decide what kind of machine it is, or can
give a resonable description, I'll be more than happy to send you all
of the documentation I can get.  There's only one catch:  the
documentation is back home in Montana.  That's right, there really
is a state called Montana, and we even have new-fangled things like
computers.  Anyhow, I'm going home on 8/15, and will be home for
~1.5 weeks.  Therefore, either send mail to me BEFORE I leave, or
call me at home (406) 873-5389 or (406) 873-2732.

BTW, just from the description that I got, I would bet that you
have a C-4P (if the floppies are 5.25").

--
Butch Anton
University of Chicago

    uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!ant3, ...ihnp4!gargoyle!butch
	   ...ihnp4!gargoyle!euler!root,  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!euler!butch
    mailnet:  x9.xba@UChicago.Mailnet
    bitnet:   ant3%sphinx@UChicago.Bitnet
    ARPA:     x9.xba%UChicago.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA
    USnail:   5135 1/2 S. Woodlawn         (312) 752-0850 home
	      Chicago, IL  60615           (312) 962-3049 work

ant3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Butch Anton) (08/13/86)

Ok, OK, so I can't read.  Since I looked back at
the follow-up article that I got my info from, I noticed that it
mentioned the floppies were 8".  Therefore, I'll lay money on
C-8P, which I can also get docs for.  If in fact you have
the three-processor version (C-3P), I can also get you that stuff,
as the Cut Bank High School still uses both the C-3P and C-8P to
teach computer science on.  Just in case your interested, they
use the C-8P as a disk server for two C-1P's, and they use
the C-3P with Denver Boards (each has its own processor) to serve
three other terminals (Hazeltines, I think).  Anyhow, I just
thought you'd like to know that there are still people out there
that use them, and that software is still available.  If your
friend needs software, get in touch with me and I'll see what I can do.

--

jimc@iscuva.UUCP (Jim Cathey) (08/14/86)

In article <119@unx1.UUCP> qsfa1@unx1.UUCP (Graham Thomas) writes:

>A friend of mine has just inherited an ancient micro and would be
>grateful for any information (especially a memory map) that anyone
>can provide.  It's 6502-based and was made by Ohio Scientific, though
>there's no model name visible.  It has a whole 24k of RAM and twin
>8-inch floppies.  The only software he's got for it is a BASIC
>interpreter, a database program that's only good for address files
>and a primitive word processor.

It sounds like a C2-8P DF unit.  Ick.  I myself owned a C1P and only know
about the C2 because of porting programs from it.  I assume your beast
has the built-in keyboard and video and was not one of the early terminal
based ones.

Quick and Dirty Hardware (jes' like me ;-) ) memory map (let me know if
you want more, I may be able to resurrect some stuff from my files...)

0000-0100  Page Zero, lots of interesting stuff here related to BASIC...
0100-0200  Stack, and probably the Software INT and NMI vectors, they were
           at $0130 and $01C0 on the C1P
0200-0300  In the C1, this was scratch ram, but the C2 may have added it
           to the next entry...
0300-C000  RAM, depending on how much you had.  BASIC sat in the bottom,
           DOS just above it, and your programs started somewhere at 31xx.
C000-D000  Disk I/O chips (6850 and 6821)
D000-E000  Video RAM, only 2K on the C2.
E000-F000  Unused, or maybe something I've forgotten about.
FC00-FD00  ACIA ports
FD00-FE00  Keyboard.
FF00-FFFF  Boot ROM.

Hope this helps.  The OSI computers were somewhat ahead of their time
at introduction, and very fast compared to their competitors.  They
failed completely to grow, most particularly in the software
department.  I think they ended up being laughed out of existance.  ;-)

--

! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey