[comp.lang.postscript] Printing on the TI MicrLaser35

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (05/18/91)

In article <2834B973.36AA@deneva.sdd.trw.com> rroux@betelgeuse.sdd.trw.com (Ray Roux) writes:
>I just purchased the TI MicroLaser35 printer for printing on my
>Sun 3/50 and am having problems getting it to print.  I have it
>attached to the Sun via a serial-parallel converter and plugged
>into the parallel port of the printer.
>
>When I try to print via HP II emulation I get the first character
>and nothing else.  When I print postscript, I _sometimes_ get a
>"PS Waiting" message and once in a blue moon a "PS Processing"
>message, but nothing ever comes out :-(

You DID match baud rates, right?  :-)

It's probably something bogus about the S-P converter.  Try both kinds
of parallel on the TI (Std and Bi); try dragging someone's PC or laptop
over and seeing if THAT prints OK in parallel.  If so, it's your
cabling.

You might be happier simply installing the RS-232 Interface board on the
PS35.  It's part 2559892-002, and your dealer should have it or be able
to order it.  This will also free up a valuable S-P converter for other
work :-)

rroux@betelgeuse.sdd.trw.com (Ray Roux) (05/18/91)

I just purchased the TI MicroLaser35 printer for printing on my
Sun 3/50 and am having problems getting it to print.  I have it
attached to the Sun via a serial-parallel converter and plugged
into the parallel port of the printer.

When I try to print via HP II emulation I get the first character
and nothing else.  When I print postscript, I _sometimes_ get a
"PS Waiting" message and once in a blue moon a "PS Processing"
message, but nothing ever comes out :-(

Does anyone have a similar setup, if so I'd sure appreciate seeing
your printcap entry!

Thanks in advance,
   Ray Roux
   rroux@betelgeuse.sdd.trw.com

  Ray Roux
    rroux@rigel.sdd.trw.com

dtb@adpplz.UUCP (Tom Beach) (05/20/91)

another possible problem is the print buffer size. When I got mine
I had problems printing files of any size. Now I could print small
jobs OK but large ones would process for a while then go into a wait
forever mode. I went through the setup menus and found that the default
print buffer size was very small so I increased it to 64 KB. I've
not had problems since.

Tom