[comp.lang.postscript] Adobe Illustrator -> groff

ksh@vine.COM (Kent S. Harris) (05/16/91)

I have unsuccessfully tried to take Adobe Illustrator 3.0 output (on a Mac)
and pull it over to a Unix machine and include it in troff (groff) by
using the PSPIC macro.

The Adobe Illustrator requires Apple's LaserPrep (I'm using version 6.0)
file and also produces a prodigous amount necessary procedure sets.

Maybe there is a simpler question.  Is there a simple postscript producing
package (for the Mac) that produces simple EPSF output?  My X-windows
server is too poor to consider using anything under X right now -- hence
the need to use the Mac for rendering graphics.

--
Kent S. Harris		...!ames!vine!ksh        (ksh@vine.com)
Vine Technology		Unix/VMS/VxWorks/pSOS/LynxOS/etc.

orthlieb@adobe.COM (Carl Orthlieb) (05/21/91)

In article <3600@vine.COM> ksh@vine.COM (Kent S. Harris) writes:

>I have unsuccessfully tried to take Adobe Illustrator 3.0 output (on a Mac)
>and pull it over to a Unix machine and include it in troff (groff) by
>using the PSPIC macro.
>
>The Adobe Illustrator requires Apple's LaserPrep (I'm using version 6.0)
>file and also produces a prodigous amount necessary procedure sets.
>
>Maybe there is a simpler question.  Is there a simple postscript producing
>package (for the Mac) that produces simple EPSF output?  My X-windows
>server is too poor to consider using anything under X right now -- hence
>the need to use the Mac for rendering graphics.

Kent,

You don't need to include LaserPrep for AI3 files. When you save the
illustration to disk, use the "with EPSF header" option.  This will include
the necessary prologues and save your illustration as a valid EPS file.

I suspect that you are capturing the AI3 output by using command-K or
command-F. This is not the recommended way to try to generate EPSF from Adobe
Illustrator.

Carl 8^)