[comp.lang.postscript] Desperately Seeking a Japanese Kanji Postscript font set

brand@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Russell Brand) (05/21/91)

I need to print out structure charts where the variable names and
titles are in Japanese.  I have and old Postscript program that I had
written to do this for COBOL and would like to adapt it and it seems
that all I need is an appropriate  set of fonts descriptor to download
inot my printer.

If anyone can tell where I can beg borrow or buy such a font set, I
would be most obliged.

thanks
wuthel

brand@lll-winken.llnl.gov

415 494 6201

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (05/21/91)

In article <97646@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> brand@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Russell Brand) writes:

>I need to print out structure charts where the variable names and
>titles are in Japanese.  I have and old Postscript program that I had
>written to do this for COBOL and would like to adapt it and it seems
>that all I need is an appropriate  set of fonts descriptor to download
>inot my printer.
>
>If anyone can tell where I can beg borrow or buy such a font set, I
>would be most obliged.

Since Japanese Kanji fonts have upto 6000-7000 chars, current
PS printers that support Kanji PS fonts have a built-in
hard disk with fonts in it (LaserWriter NTX-J).
Furthermore, most PS printers now in circulation is the US
probably lack the "conposite font extention" in the
interpreter, which is needed to properly use Kanji PS fonts.
For this reason, I don't think you can do font download to
the printer and hope that it will work.

If you can tolerate jaggies in the printout for Kanji,  there
is a program which expands Kanji PostScript into bit-mapped
fontdata + standard PostScript code so that it can be
printed on any PS printers.  It uses 24x24 dot fonts.
If you want to try this, you can get it via anon FTP
from host mindseye.berkeley.edu as file
/pub/kanji/kanjips.tar.Z.

It can handle 7-bit JIS, EUC, and Shift-JIS encoding, if
I remember correctly.

P.S.
I am interested in buying real Kanji PostScript fonts.
I just called Adobe today, and was told that Adobe does
not sell any foreign language PS fonts.
Does anyone know where I can buy Kanji PS fonts?

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]
USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Telephone: (415) 642-6440             Fax:  (415) 642-3323
Internet: izumi@violet.berkeley.edu   NeXTmail: izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu