[comp.lang.postscript] Tiff to postscript??? Has anyone done this?

haroldt@paralandra.yorku.ca (Harold Tomlinson) (05/21/91)

Hi...

  Has anyone ever converted a tiff file to postscript format?  I've one that
I'd really like to display/print.

--
# Harold Tomlinson			##	haroldt@paralandra.yorku.ca #
# Computing & Communications Services	##	(416)736-5257-33802         #

psun@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Pete) (05/21/91)

In article <HAROLDT.91May20173517@paralandra.yorku.ca> haroldt@paralandra.yorku.ca (Harold Tomlinson) writes:
>Hi...
>  Has anyone ever converted a tiff file to postscript format?  I've one that
>I'd really like to display/print.

	Tiff to PostScript seems to be cake...at least to bit-mapped
postscript.  There are a multitude of programs to do this (i recommend
GrafWork, available from Simtel).  Converting to vector postscript to
take advantage of postscript's real power is much trickier.  I have
yet to find a program capable of doing this.

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May21.012537.26449@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> psun@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Pete) writes:
>In article <HAROLDT.91May20173517@paralandra.yorku.ca> haroldt@paralandra.yorku.ca (Harold Tomlinson) writes:
>>Hi...
>>  Has anyone ever converted a tiff file to postscript format?  I've one that
>>I'd really like to display/print.
>
>	Tiff to PostScript seems to be cake...at least to bit-mapped
>postscript.  There are a multitude of programs to do this (i recommend
>GrafWork, available from Simtel).  Converting to vector postscript to
>take advantage of postscript's real power is much trickier.  I have
>yet to find a program capable of doing this.

Adobe Streamline 2.0 for the Mac seems quite capable of this, and is
reasonably priced at under $150. Compared to its $300+ price tag a
year ago, it's worth a look-see. The program literally traces the bitmap,
and converts it into an editable PostScript file -- Illustrator format,
I assume.

Although, if it's just for one file, I wouldn't go to the trouble. But
it is wonderful for scanning line art, and converting it to a [much
smaller] postscript file.

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
	- Celibacy is a curable condition -