[net.micro] Adaptec 2070, RLL encoding: WARNING

petel@tekig5.UUCP (Pete Lancashire) (08/15/86)

In article <12300016@clio>, berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

> For less than $ 200, you can get the Adaptec 2070 controller board
> with run length limited encoding.  That gives you 50% more space
> on your hard disk, INDEPENDENT of what the data looks like.  It also
> runs 50% faster.
>
> A SCSI version is also available.

Not all drives will work with 2/7 RLL. If your drive is not 'certified' to
work with RLL, I suggest formatting your drive with an Adaptec controller
first.

Out of about 20 drives, I have found two that on their inner tracks could
not handle the extra bandwidth needed by 2/7 RLL.

Other than that the Adaptec 2/7 RLL controllers and adapters has to be one
of the best bargins around.

Pete Lancashire   ...!tektronix!tekig5!petel