[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript Versions

neil@cadreor.uucp (Neil Van Dyke) (05/29/91)

I am interested in knowing the differences between the Postscript versions.
I have seen PS-ADOBE-1.0, 2.0, and 3.0.  The "Red Book" I have just mentions
1.0.  Could someone please refer me to an appropriate document, or otherwise
clue me in?

P.S., I couldn't find the answer in the FAQ.  Perhaps I can summarize and
someone can add the information...

Thanks!

Neil W. Van Dyke, Co-op Student, Cadre Technologies Inc.
neil@cadreor, (503) 690-1586, Fax (503) 690-1320, Beaverton, OR
These opinions do not necessarily represent those of Cadre.

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.192950.17017@cadreor.uucp>, neil@cadreor.uucp (Neil Van Dyke) writes:

    *  I am interested in knowing the differences between the
    *  Postscript versions.  I have seen PS-ADOBE-1.0, 2.0, and
    *  3.0.  The "Red Book" I have just mentions 1.0.  Could
    *  someone please refer me to an appropriate document, or
    *  otherwise clue me in?

Lines at the beginning of PostScript files reading
	PS-ADOBE-x.y
do not refer to PostScript versions -- they refer to the version
number of the Adobe Document Structuring Conventions.  So a PostScript
file starting with the line
	PS-ADOBE-2.0

claims to be conformant with version 2.0 of the Document
Structuring Conventions.  Whether it actually is compliant,
is of course, a completely different issue.

	........  Henry

orthlieb@adobe.COM (Carl Orthlieb) (05/29/91)

%!PS-Adobe-1.0 refers to the 1.0 version of the Document Structuring
Conventions (which are a series of PostScript language comments used
to delineate structure and identify resources with a PS file), it does
NOT indicate that the document uses version 1.0 of the PostScript language.
Version 1.0 are the DSC found in the back of the old red book.

%!PS-Adobe-2.0 and %!PS-Adobe-2.1 refer to the versions of the DSC that
were released as technical notes through Adobe ISV developer support.
These versions added more comments including color separation, file,
font, setup, paper sizes, PPD support, procset, queries, and requirements
comments. This version is currently available from our server to those
parties interested in the historical development of the DSC 8^).

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 is the current version of the DSC. The specification for
v3.0 is found in Appendix G of the PostScript Language Reference Manual,
Second Edition (a.k.a. the new red book). It adds new comments to
support PostScript Level 2, emulations, resources, media, and defaults.
It will be available on our server soon (maybe as v3.1).

As I said before, %!PS-Adobe-X.x does not indicate the level of the PostScript
language that is needed in order to execute the file; the %%LanguageLevel:
comment does this.

Hope this helps, Carl 8^)

cet1@cl.cam.ac.uk (C.E. Thompson) (05/29/91)

In article <609@appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) writes:
>                                                       So a PostScript
>file starting with the line
>	PS-ADOBE-2.0
>
>claims to be conformant with version 2.0 of the Document
>Structuring Conventions.  Whether it actually is compliant,
>is of course, a completely different issue.

To nit-pick: such a document would not be conformant, and it is arguable
that it doesn't even claim to be. A conforming document would start
with "%!PS-Adobe-2.0" (possibly followed by other keywords). Case is
significant.

Chris Thompson
JANET:    cet1@uk.ac.cam.phx
Internet: cet1%phx.cam.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk