[comp.lang.postscript] WYSIWYG Postscripty editor for SGI Iris

eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) (05/26/91)

...hope this is the right place to ask this question....

I am looking for a WYSIWYG Postscript editor for the SGI Iris.

I want to be able to add some simple text to the postscript output
from a graphics package without having to go in an manually write the
code (ooh, painfull!).

Thanks!
TTGATTGCTAAACACTGGGCGGCGAATCAGGGTTGGGATCTGAACAAAGACGGTCAGATTCAGTTCGTACTGCTG
Eric E. Snyder
Department of MCD Biology              ...making feet for childrens' shoes.
University of Colorado, Boulder
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0347
LeuIleAlaLysHisTrpAlaAlaAsnGlnGlyTrpAspLeuAsnLysAspGlyGlnIleGlnPheValLeuLeu

rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) (05/27/91)

In article <eesnyder.675276116@beagle> eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) writes:
>...hope this is the right place to ask this question....
>
>I am looking for a WYSIWYG Postscript editor for the SGI Iris.
>
>I want to be able to add some simple text to the postscript output
>from a graphics package without having to go in an manually write the
>code (ooh, painfull!).
>
>Thanks!

	Better yet - HOW ABOUT A SUMMARY...of postscript editing packages
	for Unix, DOS/Windows, and others.

	I am interested in the state of "editable" postscript - what
	is being done, what products are being developed, and what
	products are available ???

	In other words, I am extremely interested in products that allow
	editing of *source* postscript files.

	Thanks...Regards |(8>
---
Robert
rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu

toms@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Tom Schneider) (05/29/91)

writes:
>I am looking for a WYSIWYG Postscript editor for the SGI Iris.

I am familiar with the fig and xfig programs for the Sun.  These produce
a special file which can be converted to PostScript by a program
called fig2dev.  Unfortunately fig is not really working with PostScript,
so arbitrary rotation, scaling etc can not be done.  Text is a fixed size
and is NOT the same on the printer as on the screen.  A real pain.

I must say that the interface for fig is really nice.  The xfig version no
longer has scaling, which makes it impossible to do fine adjustments to
the figure.  I can't believe that they dropped this feature.

So I too would like to know about a good PostScript editor.  The ones I've seen
bomb.  There goes the drawing!  This discouraged me from ever using them
again!  One of the bombers is part of GoodNeWS.  Maybe those folks have fixed
it by now.

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms@ncifcrf.gov

rudolf@tummel.turing.ac.uk (Jim Rudolf) (06/01/91)

In an earlier article Tom Schneider writes:
>So I too would like to know about a good PostScript editor.  The ones I've seen
>bomb.  There goes the drawing!  This discouraged me from ever using them
>again!  One of the bombers is part of GoodNeWS.  Maybe those folks have fixed
>it by now.

"Those folks" now offer something called HyperNeWS, the successor to GoodNeWS.
It is a hypertext system that uses the same card/stack model that HyperCard
(among others) does.  All graphics are PostScript-based and created with
the WYSIWYG graphics editor called HyperDraw.  You can mix raster images and
EPS files with your PS graphics, too.  Best of all, HyperNeWS is free.  Mail
to newsdev@turing.ac.uk for details.

  -- Jim

--
Jim Rudolf