[comp.lang.postscript] printername problem

perch@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Perch) (05/31/91)

We have a Apple Laserwriter on which the printer type was changed to
LaserSpooler.  Can someone tell me how to get it changed back to
LaserWriter?

Thanks.

Andy Perch
University of PA SEAS
perch@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
215-898-9346

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/31/91)

In article <43946@netnews.upenn.edu>, perch@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Perch) writes:
> We have a Apple Laserwriter on which the printer type was changed to
> LaserSpooler.  Can someone tell me how to get it changed back to
> LaserWriter?

LaserSpooler is the type when the printer has been captured by Apple's Print
Spooler.  It is not a Good Thing(tm) to change this back without finding
out "who dun it", and punishing them severely ;-)

As to changing it -- just turn the printer off and then back on.  At least
that's what I used to do if the print server ever crashed (which was rarely).

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Don't take me too seriously -- I never do!  :-)                             |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |

jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph Jackson) (06/05/91)

You can set the AppleTalk NBP type by changing the "product" string in
the statusdict.  Something  like this should work:

%!
% replace the zero with your printer's password, if necessary
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin
/product (LaserWriter) def
end

This string is mentioned in PostScript Language Reference Manual (the
red book), appendix D, section 6. (I'm not sure where to find it in the
latest version of the LRM since I don't own a copy yet.)

Joe Jackson
Distributed Workstation Services
Carnegie Mellon University

Internet:	jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu