[comp.lang.postscript] What will level 2 postscript for the HP laserjet look like ?

ralph@uhheph.phys.hawaii.edu (Ralph Becker-Szendy) (06/06/91)

(I posted this a week ago, but haven't seen it come back yet, and haven't
received any replies. If this is a double post, I apologize).

Rumour has it that HP/Adobe won't use a cartridge but an add-on board for
level-2 postscript in the Laserjets (IIP, III and IIIP). I tried to get any
information about that from HP, failed. Dealers, no knowledge either.

Is that the case ? If yes, when can we expect to see such a board ? And how
much will it cost ? Will it be a customer-installable upgrade to existing
printers ?

Putting the question bluntly, shall I hold off buying a LJ IIP or IIIP
until the situation clears up ? Does Pacific Page have detail plans about
level-2 postscript already ?

Anyone from HP or Adobe listening ?

--
Ralph Becker-Szendy                          UHHEPG=24742::RALPH (HEPNet,SPAN)
University of Hawaii                              RALPH@UHHEPG.PHYS.HAWAII.EDU

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (06/07/91)

In article <13342@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> ralph@uhheph.phys.hawaii.edu
(Ralph Becker-Szendy) writes:
>Rumour has it that HP/Adobe won't use a cartridge but an add-on board for
>level-2 postscript in the Laserjets (IIP, III and IIIP). I tried to ...

   I'm pretty sure that the HP level-2 'solution' will be built around either
a intel i860 or i960 cpu on a option card.  The problem I see for the IIp is
available memory slots.  Any memory on the option card probably won't be
available in laserjet mode, but I can live with that.  If enough memory can
be fit onto the option card, who cares anyway, but a new high density memory
card will probably be a sister addition.  Performance should approach the
engine speed.

>Putting the question bluntly, shall I hold off buying a LJ IIP or IIIP
>until the situation clears up ? Does Pacific Page have detail plans about
>level-2 postscript already ?

   I'd be surprised to see it on the market before march, although a announce-
ment for the las vegas show wouldn't surprise me.  Given HP's attitude and
pricing strategy, you'll have to sell you kids in order to afford one in
year 1.  HP is paying a big fee to adobe, and that government cost plus
'arm' should exact it's toll on us, big time.  I don't think that enough
pressure exists to even force down the current cartridge prices.  The price
should be cut just about in half eventually, IMO.  Pacific appears busy with
their current products and improvements.  I suspect that they will take a
wait and see attitude about it, but they already are well involved with
i860/i960 designs.  When a product is needed, time to market should be short.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu