[comp.lang.postscript] ghostscript => Epson LQ

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (06/10/91)

At somebody's recent suggestion in comp.periphs.printers I picked up
ghostscript so I could send postscript to my Epson.  I had no idea how
BIG it is.  Can somebody who is using this to drive an Epson offer some
guidance on how to proceed?  I don't need most of what this software can
do, just the ability to drive the Epson.

BTW, the same or a related message indicated the software works at 180
dpi.  If anybody has it running at 360 dpi I would appreciate some help
there too.
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA        rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us         412-471-5320
venetia@investor.pgh.pa.us [NeXT Mail]     ...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp [UUCP]

--

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun10.125704.27175@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>At somebody's recent suggestion in comp.periphs.printers I picked up
>ghostscript so I could send postscript to my Epson.  I had no idea how
>BIG it is.  Can somebody who is using this to drive an Epson offer some
>guidance on how to proceed?  I don't need most of what this software can
>do, just the ability to drive the Epson.
>
>BTW, the same or a related message indicated the software works at 180
>dpi.  If anybody has it running at 360 dpi I would appreciate some help
>there too.
>--
>Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA        rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us         412-471-5320
>venetia@investor.pgh.pa.us [NeXT Mail]     ...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp [UUCP]

1) RTFM
2) Define the Epson driver in the makefile (copied from the appropriate 	   flavor for your machine (eg unix-gcc.mak for using g gcc on a Unix
   machine.  See the lines around the string "DEVS=".
3) Type "make" and go.

The Bubblejet BJ10e is supposedly a 360 x 360 "Epson LQ" clone (their
description) so you could use the BJ10 driver (part of the kit) with your
printer IF it supports the same codes.

I found that the Epson driver supplied with GS 2.2 DID NOT WORK with my
Seikosha SL80AI (180 x 180 Epson LQ clone) when set up for the supposed
new 24-pin mode.  In fact, much of the page got lost in my printer and the
red Error light kept flashing about every 2 or 3 lines of output.  Most
other software works OK with the SL80.  As I did with GS 2.1.1, I just copied
the BJ10 driver to a new file and hacked all the numeric constants as needed.
You WILL have to RTFM for your printer if you chose this route.

Good Luck!
--
Bill Meahan			|Product Design & Testing Section
Production Test Engineer	|Starter Motor Engineering