[comp.lang.postscript] setrealdevice ?

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (06/15/91)

We just got some POstScript code from somewhere that contains
a `setrealdevice' operator.  It's not in any manual I have,
nor in any printer supplement.  Anybody have any ideas?

	Thanks,
		........  Henry

UNIX -- the Winchester Mystery House of Operating Systems.

woody@chinacat.unicom.com (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (06/16/91)

In article <629@appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) writes:
>We just got some POstScript code from somewhere that contains
>a `setrealdevice' operator.  It's not in any manual I have,
>nor in any printer supplement.  Anybody have any ideas?

Nope.  It lives in either serverdict or statusdict.  It explicitly
sets up some hardware things.  You can find it's definition by connecting
serialy to the printer, running a communication program, and
typeing in
executive and hit return.
You should see a prompt

AT this point, type in
serverdict begin statusdict begin
/serverdict load {== ==} forall

BEFORE you hit return, make sure your ascii screen capture is turned on.
after you hit return, the contents of serverdict will be dumped.
repeat the  same step for statusdict.
Look through those, and you will find the setrealdevice operator and it's
definition.  This works for most printers.
Cheers
Woody