[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript to HPGL

val@terminus.UUCP (Val Kartchner) (02/03/88)

Does anyone have the source code to convert Postscript to HP Laserjet (or
any graphics printer)?  We have an HP connected to a VMS VAX.

Also, I'd like the complete Postscript language definition if anyone has
it.

kevin@xilinx.UUCP (Kevin Kelleher) (02/01/89)

I am looking for a program which will convert Postscript to
HP-GL for output on a HP Laserwriter II.  I would prefer a
'C' program for a Sun-3, but will take almost anything.

Much Thanks

UUCP: {pyramid,uunet}!xilinx!kevin
ARPA: kevin@xilinx.uucp@uunet.uu.net (?)
USPS: Xilinx Inc., 2069 Hamilton Ave, San Jose, CA 95125
PHONE: (408) 559-7778 x269

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (02/02/89)

In article <834@xilinx.UUCP>, kevin@xilinx.UUCP (Kevin Kelleher) writes:
> I am looking for a program which will convert Postscript to
> HP-GL for output on a HP Laserwriter II.  I would prefer a
> 'C' program for a Sun-3, but will take almost anything.

I would also like to have one that would work with the subset of HP-GL
supported by the new HP Deskjet printer.

--jim

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (02/02/89)

In article <834@xilinx.UUCP> kevin@xilinx.UUCP (Kevin Kelleher) writes:
>I am looking for a program which will convert Postscript to
>HP-GL for output on a HP Laserwriter II.  I would prefer a
>'C' program for a Sun-3, but will take almost anything.

I don't think you'll find such a thing (but if somebody has written it
and wishes to share it, you've got my address!). Mapping the powerful
PostScript functionality to the rather poor HPGL syntax would be a
nightmare (if possible at all). I think your best bet is to take the PD
version of PostScript that's floating around and write the raster ops
needed for the Laserjet (you mean Laserjet, didn't you? The LaserWriter
is from Apple, and PostScript is it's native language).  Maybe somebody
has done it already, but I haven't seen it. In any case, I don't think it
makes sense to go from PostScript to HPGL.

--
		Federico Heinz     "I can resist anything but temptation"
                                        -- Oscar Wilde

kavitsky@hsi86.hsi.com (Jim Kavitsky) (06/18/91)

    Good morning networld. I`m looking for some software to convert the
postscript output of one program to HPGL. The system in question is a
sun IPC with Open Windows, and an HP laserjet II P. Buying a postscript
cartridge is one solution, but they are expensive, and I would also like to be
able to spool the output to HP plotters that accept HPGL. Any ideas?

    By the way, the program in question is SLATE by BNN, if it matters.
With all the anonymous ftp sites out there, there has to be something. Thanks
for any help you can give.

Jim Kavitsky
3M Health Information Systems
kavitsky@hsi.com

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (XiaoFei Wang) (06/18/91)

/* kavitsky@hsi86.hsi.com (Jim Kavitsky) wrote */:
*
*     Good morning networld. I`m looking for some software to convert the
* postscript output of one program to HPGL. The system in question is a
* sun IPC with Open Windows, and an HP laserjet II P. Buying a postscript
* cartridge is one solution, but they are expensive, and I would also like to be
* able to spool the output to HP plotters that accept HPGL. Any ideas?

It is not possible to convert postscript to anything else. If yuo have a
postscript file, stay postscript. As for your problem of printing postscript
on a HP laserjet, you don't have to buy a cartridge. There is a free software
solution, ghostscript 2.2 which is ftp'able from prep.ai.mit.edu ./pub/gnu/
ghostscript*.

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (06/18/91)

In article <3791@hsi86.hsi.com> kavitsky@hsi86.hsi.com (Jim Kavitsky) writes:
<
<    Good morning networld. I`m looking for some software to convert the
<postscript output of one program to HPGL. The system in question is a
<sun IPC with Open Windows, and an HP laserjet II P. Buying a postscript
<cartridge is one solution, but they are expensive, and I would also like to be
<able to spool the output to HP plotters that accept HPGL. Any ideas?

Wait a second.  The HP LaserJet IIP is not a HPGL printer.  It is a HP-PCL
printer.

Do you have a HPGL plotter around somewhere?  I don't believe that the HPLJIIP
has HPGL built in.

There are HPGL to PostScript converters around, but PostScript to HPGL is a
step backwards.  PostScript has alot more power in it that can't be converted
into HPGL.  The arc drawing of PostScript is different than the arc drawing
of HPGL.  The characters fonts that are available in PostScript just aren't
available in HPGL.  While the builtin characters of HPGL can be scaled, they
are stick characters.

You won't like the results.  You'd like it better if you were to try and
convert PostScript into HP-PCL.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\          spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown