[comp.lang.postscript] end of Microsoft printer software effort -- bad news for TrueType?

crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (06/16/91)

Microsoft canceled its printer software development effort, according to
an article I read yesterday (using the Company News section of Prodigy which
uses Dow Jones News Retrieval service).  The article mentioned neither
TrueType nor Apple, but it did say that the Microsoft effort failed to make
inroads into territory held by Adobe PostScript.

Does anyone have more info, especially with respect to support and development
of TrueType at Apple?  I have mixed feelings, because I would like to
simplify compatibility issues for computer users, while I don't like to
see ridiculously high prices as a result of a monopoly.

Gary

Howard.Spindel@p8.f41.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (06/19/91)

In an article of <15 Jun 91 17:40:10 GMT>, crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:

 >Microsoft canceled its printer software development effort, according to
 >an article I read yesterday (using the Company News section of Prodigy
 >which
 >uses Dow Jones News Retrieval service).  The article mentioned neither
 >TrueType nor Apple, but it did say that the Microsoft effort failed to
 >make
 >inroads into territory held by Adobe PostScript.
 >
 >Does anyone have more info, especially with respect to support and
 >development
 >of TrueType at Apple?  I have mixed feelings, because I would like to
 >simplify compatibility issues for computer users, while I don't like to
 >see ridiculously high prices as a result of a monopoly.

The death of TrueImage is greatly exaggerated - the news report (which originally appeared in the Wall Street Journal) was erroneous.

Microsoft has renamed the division responsible for TrueImage and changed its focus slightly to concentrate on making printers compatible with Windows, but TrueImage remains alive and well.

I am a software developer working on a TrueImage port, and this information comes straight from my contacts at Microsoft.

I hope the author of the Wall Street Journal article doesn't own any Adobe stock :-)

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet, reed}!glacier!busker!41.8!Howard.Spindel