[comp.lang.postscript] Ghostscript

trr@rayssd.ray.com (Terry R. Raymond) (11/23/88)

I read in one of the newsgroups that a version of GNU ghostscript
for TURBO C 2.0 was going to be released soon.  Could someone tell me
when and how I may get a copy.  Thank you.

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (11/28/88)

From article <4887@rayssd.ray.com>, by trr@rayssd.ray.com (Terry R. Raymond):
> I read in one of the newsgroups that a version of GNU ghostscript
> for TURBO C 2.0 was going to be released soon.  Could someone tell me
> when and how I may get a copy.  Thank you.

There are problems with GhostScript under Turbo C 2.0, and the author is
working on them.  Not simple fixes, so it will probably be a while.

I'll make sure something is posted here when it is available.  In addition
to having it on prep.ai.mit.edu, I'll place it on sun.soe.clarkson.edu for
easier access (as soon as I get it).

It * IS * being worked on, however (by the author, not myself).

-dg-

rajohn@hubcap.UUCP (r alan johnson) (01/18/89)

I read in this newsgroup some while ago that a version of Ghostscript
was being transported to (MS/PC)-DOS machines. Does anyone know the
status and/or whereabouts of this creature? If so, please enlighten...

Alan Johnson @ hubcap.clemson.edu (of course you already know that..)

des@yatton.inmos.co.uk (David Shepherd) (03/23/89)

I have just obtained the sources for GhostScript dated 10 august 1988
which claim to compile under Turbo C for an IBM PC. I have used Turbo C
v2 and after fixing a couple of type cast produced gs.exe. This however
doesn't work -- it falls over during "/mark load" in ghost.ps.

Has anyone had more success -- in particular, should I go back to Turbo
C v1.5??

david shepherd
INMOS ltd

kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (03/25/89)

In article <1265@brwa.inmos.co.uk> des@inmos.co.uk () writes:

>I have just obtained the sources for GhostScript dated 10 august 1988
>which claim to compile under Turbo C for an IBM PC. I have used Turbo C
>v2 and after fixing a couple of type cast produced gs.exe. This however
>doesn't work -- it falls over during "/mark load" in ghost.ps.
>
>Has anyone had more success -- in particular, should I go back to Turbo
>C v1.5??

I have Turbo C 1.5 and have compiled gs.exe.  The only thing my "gs" did
when executed was repeatedly cause a "print screen" to occur.  Yes, I
mean the cursor scanned from top to bottom printing the screen over and
over and...  however it seems to do this function very well :-) :-).  If
anyone has a binary copy of the new GhostScript that works, I would be
most appreciative.

Ken Keirnan
--

Ken Keirnan - Pacific Bell - {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk
  San Ramon, California	                    kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (08/14/89)

I just obtained version 1.3 of Ghostscript for the PC, and was wondering
if there is any way to output to something other than the screen.  Do
any interfaces exist for Epson or HP Laserjet printers?

Thomas C. Murphy                  Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
Internet:   tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu   tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu
BITNET:     TMURPHY@WPI           BIX:  tmurphy
CompuServe: 73766,130

fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) (01/05/90)

	I have been told that there existed a public domain software
called Ghost Script for PC which translates Postscript into HPGL.
	Can anyone tall me where I can get it?
	Thanks in advance.

--
	Fang Zhong				1-919-684-8247
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	fang@phy.duke.edu

) (09/22/90)

About Ghostscript, does a .TAR.Z file require me to decompress the file using
two utilities?

 Santanu Sircar                                BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet
 University of Massachusetts/Amherst           INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
 "A pig ate his fill of acorns under an oak tree and then started to root
   around the tree.  A crow remarked, `You should not do this.  If you lay bare
   the roots, the tree will wither and die.' `Let it die,' said the pig.  `Who
   cares so long as there are acorns?'"	-"Animal Farm" by George Orwell

jrv@sdimax2.mitre.org (VanZandt) (09/26/90)

When I try to view a modest PostScript file with the MS-DOS version of
Ghostscript with the command

	C>gs_2_0 foo.ps

all I get is this error printout...

	Reading ghost.ps... gsmisc.c(35): alloc chunk: malloc failed
	frame 4aee1c5a called from 16e40209 (16e40209)
	frame 4aee1c6e called from 1d0902f8 (1d0902f8)
	frame 4aee1c82 called from 1d09002f (1d09002f)
	frame 4aee1c90 called from 18ab090c (18ab090c)
	frame 4aee1ce8 called from 18ab018c (18ab018c)
	frame 4aee1d08 called from 156d0791 (156d0791)
	frame 4aee1d1e called from 156d0681 (156d0681)
	frame 4aee1e00 called from 15f10302 (15f10302)
	frame 4aee1e2c called from 156d00e5 (156d00e5)
	frame 4aee1f1e called from 12920107 (12920107)
	frame 4aee1f36 called from 3a450000 (3a450000)

	Interp returns -25
	ostack:
	0x44385048: 0x0d str  -ewr------ 0x000a 0x60580020
	0x44385050: 0x0d str  -ewr------ 0x0001 0x4d070728
	0x44385058: 0x05 int  ---------- 0x0000 0x00000002  =  2
	estack:
	0x44384b48: 0x09 oper x--------- 0x0000 0x18ab02bf
	0x44384b50: 0x03 file xe-r------ 0x24c5 0x4d071de0
	0x44384b58: 0x00 arry xewr------ 0x0012 0x5b754298

I have a '386 with an EGA.  A reasonable fraction of my conventional
memory is free.  CHKDSK reports:

		   655360 bytes total memory
		   579552 bytes free

Does the MS-DOS version of Ghostscript require a LOT of memory, or
am I doing something wrong?

                               - Jim Van Zandt (jrv@mbunix.mitre.org)

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (09/27/90)

In article <121153@linus.mitre.org>, jrv@sdimax2.mitre.org (VanZandt) writes:
> 	frame 4aee1c5a called from 16e40209 (16e40209)
This appears to be a LIM error.  Do you have a LIM simulator or a LIM
board present?

cheers
Woody

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (10/10/90)

I tried to compile Ghostscript 2.0 on my PC with Microsoft C 5.1, and
eventually suceeded in compiling but it won't run. Can anyone who
has one send me an executable? I need it to work ONLY on a VGA,
though if you also have a printer driver in it I'll just ignore that.

Ftp would be the best method for getting it.

Is this thing posted somewhere? (the executable?)

Doug MCDonald (mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)

pete@fidata.fidata.fi (Petri Helenius) (11/13/90)

  The following section of Postscript makes GNU Ghostscript 2.0 abort
with "/undefined in #" error. I think that GS is not designed to handle
this kind of stuff... Is there a patch available?
%%BeginBinary:  131
15 15 14.98 14.98 0 230.09 258.59 BEGINBITMAPBWc

#
800F#
BFD77"
DB7"
C3#
BC7B

#
B01B#
B83B#
BC7B#
BEFB"
BF#
8003#
FFFF
ENDBITMAP
%%EndBinary
 Petri Helenius, Fimeko-Data Oy      Phone     +358-0-487122
----------------------------------!  Telefax   +358-0-487314
 Looking for Unix(r) FAX-system ? !  Internet  pete@fidata.fi
 Mail queries to unifax@fidata.fi !  FidoNet   2:504/23.0

vnichol1@ub.d.umn.edu (Vern A. Nichols) (11/20/90)

Hi,

A while back I tried to compile ghostscript 2.0 when it first came out.
It crashed and burned.  Now I have finally updated my compiler and assembler
(Borland's Turbo series) and would like to try again, but I can't find the
source anymore.  I got it the first time from 128.138.238.18 (Colorado), but
it now seems to be corrupted there.  Does anyone know of other sites that
have ghostscript 2.0 source, our better yet, the executables for a 286
machine.

(PS. I've also tried 128.153.4.3 and 192.20.225.2 from and ftpsites list
     that claimed to have it but couldn't find it. )

	Thanks,   Vern.

	vnichol1@ub.d.umn.edu

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (11/21/90)

In article <495@ub.d.umn.edu> vnichol1@ub.d.umn.edu (Vern A. Nichols) writes:

Vern> Hi,

Vern> A while back I tried to compile ghostscript 2.0 when it first came out.
Vern> It crashed and burned.  Now I have finally updated my compiler and assembler
Vern> (Borland's Turbo series) and would like to try again, but I can't find the
Vern> source anymore.  I got it the first time from 128.138.238.18 (Colorado), but
Vern> it now seems to be corrupted there.  Does anyone know of other sites that
Vern> have ghostscript 2.0 source, our better yet, the executables for a 286
Vern> machine.

Vern> (PS. I've also tried 128.153.4.3 and 192.20.225.2 from and ftpsites list
Vern>      that claimed to have it but couldn't find it. )

Vern> 	Thanks,   Vern.

Vern> 	vnichol1@ub.d.umn.edu

The Free Software Foundation offerings are available via anonymous FTP from
the host prep.ai.mit.edu [18.71.0.38].

--
Dan Ehrlich - Sr. Systems Programmer - Penn State Computer Science
<ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

garretso@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Leon T. Garretson) (12/12/90)

A compiled version of ghost, along with the source code, that runs on a
286 EGA system can be found at simtel-20 or washu_archive. The latter
is best. Login anonymously and change to /mirrors/msdos/printer.
Actually, I just looked there and it's version 1.3. Works though.

Leon Garretson
garretso@girch1.hsch.utexas.edu

gumbyltd@ronzoni.berkeley.edu (Dmitry Gokhman) (04/09/91)

I am having trouble compiling Ghostscript on my PC
(with VGA).  Would a kind soul please mail me a
uuencoded version of the executable, please?
- Dmitry <gumbyltd@math.berkeley.edu>

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr k.l. lentin) (06/15/91)

I have downloaded the new copy of ghostscript 2.2 from simtel20 and it
won't run. It gives some funny error about a bad command -!7

I am looking for another place I can get it or possibly where the source is?
The source to 2.11 used to be on simtel (the readme file says so) But its
gone now.

I don';t have a laser printer but need to experiment with postscript and
therefore need an msdos based product that will view it for me. I have access
to dxpsview at university but I wan't to work at home.

Help please?

--
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
|\evin (ins845b@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au)  | All reasonable offers accepted
-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (X. F. Wang) (06/16/91)

/* ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  k.l. lentin) wrote */:
* I have downloaded the new copy of ghostscript 2.2 from simtel20 and it
* won't run. It gives some funny error about a bad command -!7

prep.ai.mit.edu :/pub/gnu/ghostscript* is a definite place to down load
ghostscript. If one uses the binary file for msdos, one has to put
main distribution on c:\gs22 and fonts on c:\gs22\fonts.

Generally I am very pleased with ghostscript 2.2. However the following
small postscript file causes hp laserjet 3 without a cartridge to be out of
memory. I have 4 MB memory installed on the laser printer. It will print on
lps40 of DEC connected with mainframe though. Could someone tell me what
problem it is?

%!PS
% This is the common imageable area of vga, laserjet, lps40.
newpath
10 20 moveto  % llx: 10  lly: 20
/x 560 def    % urx: 570
/y 750  def   % ury: 770
x 0 rlineto
0 y rlineto
x neg 0 rlineto
0 y neg rlineto
stroke
% ----------- some macros --------------------------------
/inch {72 mul} def       % definition of inch
/cm   {28.35 mul} def    % definition of inch
/centershow                     % cnter a string at currentpoint.
{ dup stringwidth               % to use: x y moveto ( string ) centershow
  exch 2 div neg exch
  rmoveto show } def
/labelfontsize 20 def
/labelfont {/Helvetica findfont labelfontsize scalefont setfont} def
/xname ( Time (sec.) ) def
/yname ( Ln [ Pressure (m torr) ] ) def
/title ( Pressure Increase with Time ) def
%-------------------------------------------------------------
15 cm 7 cm translate 90 rotate
newpath
0 0 moveto
/ixmin 0 def /ixmax 40.0 def /nx 5 def  % max. min. x and y values
/iymin 3.5 def /iymax 4.5 def /ny 5 def  % and number of div in x and y axies
/alpha 1 def  % alpha is scale factor, default: 1
/deltax 15 cm alpha div def     % default x dim
/deltay 12 cm alpha div def     % default y dim
deltax 0 rlineto  % these 4 lines draws a box of deltax by deltay
0 deltay rlineto
deltax neg 0 rlineto
0 deltay neg rlineto
stroke
/stepxcm deltax nx div def % cal x tick mark spacing in cm
/stepycm deltay ny div def % cal y tick mark spacing in cm
/tick 0.3 cm alpha div def % define the length of tick mark
0 stepxcm deltax { 0 moveto 0 tick rlineto stroke } for
0 stepxcm deltax { deltay moveto 0 tick neg rlineto stroke } for
0 stepycm deltay { 0 exch moveto tick 0 rlineto stroke } for
0 stepycm deltay { deltax exch moveto tick neg 0 rlineto stroke } for
% above 4 lines draw tick marks
/stepxvalue ixmax ixmin sub nx div def % tick mark spacing in value
/stepyvalue iymax iymin sub ny div def
/tempstr 10 string def % a temperary string for use
labelfont
0 1 nx
      {dup stepxcm mul -1 cm moveto  % where to moveto
       stepxvalue mul ixmin add     % x value
       tempstr cvs centershow} for   % write x value
% this is to write x lable
0 1 ny
      {dup stepycm mul labelfontsize 3 div sub -1.25 cm exch moveto
% move the label 1/3 of the fontsize to make it centered at currentpoint
       stepyvalue mul iymin add
       tempstr cvs centershow} for
% this is to write y lable
deltax 2 div deltay 1.5 cm add moveto   % move to
title centershow                        % write title
deltax 2 div -2.0 cm moveto % move to
xname centershow            % write Xname
90 rotate % to write text vertically, one needs rotate
deltay 2 div 2.5 cm moveto % move to
yname centershow           % write yname
-90 rotate % get back to normal
/xpoint { ixmin sub deltax mul ixmax ixmin sub div } def
/ypoint { iymin sub deltay mul iymax iymin sub div } def
newpath
0.0 xpoint 3.648147612953137 ypoint 5 0 360 arc stroke
5.0 xpoint 3.746039150751546 ypoint 5 0 360 arc stroke
10.0 xpoint 3.843930688549954 ypoint 5 0 360 arc stroke
15.0 xpoint 3.941822226348362 ypoint 5 0 360 arc stroke
23.0 xpoint 4.098448686825816 ypoint 5 0 360 arc stroke
25.0 xpoint 4.137605301945180 ypoint 5 0 360 arc stroke
30.0 xpoint 4.235496839743588 ypoint 5 0 360 arc stroke
35.0 xpoint 4.333388377541996 ypoint 5 0 360 arc stroke
40.0 xpoint 4.431279915340405 ypoint 5 0 360 arc stroke
copypage

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/16/91)

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  k.l. lentin) wrote:
> I have downloaded the new copy of ghostscript 2.2 from simtel20 and it
> won't run. It gives some funny error about a bad command -!7

Did you send a message to the person who uploaded it to SIMTEL20?  If
you don't know who uploaded it send e-mail to me and I'll tell you.
Give the uploader a chance to tell you what's wrong before you tell
the whole world that the version on SIMTEL20 doesn't work.  It does
work.  Nate spent a lot of time configuring and testing it for many
different video displays and printers.  Perhaps the real problem is
that you don't have the right fonts.  Nate just uploaded four large
ZIPs of fonts for GS212.  Watch comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d for an
announcement later today.

One of the reasons that I repost uploader's announcements instead of
creating the announcement under my name is to make it easy for users
to use the "r" (reply) key to send e-mail to the uploader if there is
a question or a problem.  Please remember there *is* a difference
between "r" and "f".  The reply gives the uploader a chance to help
you by e-mail.  The "f" (follow-up) tells the whole world.  When there
is a problem *I* want to hear about it.

As the famous sign in the old corner store says:

   If you like our [products|work|service], tell others.
   If you don't, tell us.
                      --
Keith
--

doug@tellabs.com (Doug David) (06/19/91)

I need to obtain a postscript viewer that works under Sunview
such as Ghostscript. I do not have uucp or ftp capabilities
outside of our local network, so I can't get it by those means.
Does someone out there know of a email-type server that archives
ghostscript??? Or is there a kind soul out there who has a copy of
the source archives that would be willing to email me a copy.
Thanks in advance!!!

Doug David
--
   (    )   __ (     )   (     )  )         )
) ((   ((  / / ))   ((   ))   (( ((     (  ((

gomer@spiff.soe.clarkson.edu (Paul Kronenwetter) (06/19/91)

Doug,

  I could mail you the sources and Fonts but they are both > 1Meg when
  compressed.. If your mailer can handle files that large I'd be happy to
  mail them to you. I'm not sure if I have the capability of splitting up
  a uuencoded file here (I'm running a new AIX system and haven't got a lot
  of the tools and goodies yet.). Let me know..

-Paul

Paul Kronenwetter - N2KIQ           | Amateur Packet: N2KIQ@KA2JXI.NY.USA
gomer@spiff.soe.clarkson.edu        |                 N2KIQ@BBSJXI.NEDA.USA
kronenpj@?? <Machine change in prog>| Snail Mail: Clarkson University
Voice:315-268-4134|St Lawrence Cty: |             Box 6942
Buffalo: 146.910- |444.15+|146.910- |             Potsdam, NY
146.580| 444.000+ |\/\/\/\|146.580  |             14699-6942