[comp.lang.postscript] Fwd: Adobe Systems Unveils Latest TranScript Software For UNIX

jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph Jackson) (06/13/91)

A friend of mine (Thanks, Walter!) discovered this Dow Jones article
describing a new release of Adobe TranScript version 3.0.  Wow!  And I
thought it was a dead project.

I'm sure there are many, many people interested in learning what changes
have been made and when the software will be available.  It would be
really great if someone at Adobe could post the release notes to this
bboard or make them available on the adobe file server.  Also, a summary
of what we need to do to get a new tape would probably be helpful and
stem an inordinately large amount of network traffic.

Joe Jackson
Distributed Workstation Services
Carnegie Mellon University

Internet:	jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet:	jj1h+@ANDREW
AT&Tnet:	(412) 268-8799

From: DowJones@andrew.cmu.edu
To: bb+dow-jones@andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: Adobe Systems Unveils Latest TranScript Software For UNIX
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 91 11:54:31 -0400 (EDT)

  MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -DJ- Adobe Systems Inc. said it introduced TranScript
3.0 software, a group of programs that enables UNIX applications to communicat-
e with and print to PostScript printers, film recorders and imagesetters.

  TranScript 3.0 software, an upgraded version of TranScript 2.1, is
expected to be available on June 15 in two versions.

  The source site license version lists for $2,950, while the single-user
site license software is priced at $1,795, Adobe said in a press release.

  11:54 AM

rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu (06/18/91)

In <4cJe8jC00VQs4qrVBx@andrew.cmu.edu> jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph Jackson) writes:

>I'm sure there are many, many people interested in learning what changes
>have been made and when the software will be available.

You might also be interested in the UCSF Enhanced troff/TranScript (ETT)
package, which enhances TranScript 2.1 and AT&T ditroff 2.0; requires source
licenses for both of these products.  Contact the UC Berkeley Off. of Technol.
Licensing at otl@violet.berkeley.edu for details...

Cheerio, Rick Rodgers
R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.         (415)476-2957 (work) 664-0560 (home)
UCSF Laurel Heights Campus     UUCP: ...ucbvax.berkeley.edu!cca.ucsf.edu!rodgers
3333 California St., Suite 102 Internet: rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu
San Francisco CA 94118 USA     BITNET: rodgers@ucsfcca

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (06/19/91)

jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph Jackson) forwards a note on a new release of
TranScript.
> From: DowJones@andrew.cmu.edu
>   The source site license version lists for $2,950, while the single-user
> site license software is priced at $1,795, Adobe said in a press release.

The source price is not surprising...but what's this single-user site
license?  If that's for object only, I'd say Adobe is pricing themselves
out of the market.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Simpler is better.

snichols@adobe.com (Sherri Nichols) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.002042.29415@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>The source price is not surprising...but what's this single-user site
>license?

"Single-user site license" is a typo; it should read "single-user source
license".

Sherri Nichols
snichols@adobe.com