[comp.lang.postscript] Troff --------- TROUBLES

jameel@enme.UCalgary.CA (06/20/91)

Hi netters:

I am in abit of a fix and need a quick solution.

I am trying to print my thesis usinf troff.  I have each chapter in different file.  The manual says by creating another file where I have command looking like this:-

        .so chapter_1
        .so chapter_2
        .
        .
        .
        .so Bibliography
I should be able to bring all these segments together.  I have had no such luck.  It works for the first file and then quits.  Even here my equations are not being recognised.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you

Jameel

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.162052.905@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> jameel@enme.UCalgary.CA () writes:
>Hi netters:
>I am trying to print my thesis usinf troff.  I have each chapter in different file.
>The manual says by creating another file where I have command looking like this:-

>        .so chapter_1
>        .so chapter_2
>        .
>        .
>        .
>        .so Bibliography

>I should be able to bring all these segments together.  I have had no such luck.
>It works for the first file and then quits.  Even here my equations are not being
>recognised.

I don't know why it's quitting after the first .so.  If you're running
psroff to invoke troff, try using the -F option to psroff (psroff usually
hides stderr from troff, using the -F option permits you to see them).  It
could be that you spelled the second file name wrong and it quits when
it can't open the second file.

eqn doesn't work on .so'd files - eqn doesn't follow the .so's.  It's troff
that's expanding the .so's.  Instead, if you have soelim, you can pipe your
main file with the .so's thru soelim *before* it goes thru eqn.

soelim expands the .so's in place.  If you don't have one, they're easy
to implement in perl or C.

The other alternative is to name all of the files to eqn, something like:

	eqn chapter_1 chapter_2 ... | troff (or whatever)

You could always do this in a shell script to avoid all the typing.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca