[comp.lang.postscript] How do you debug using ehandler.ps?

tony@tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz (Tony Cooper) (06/20/91)

I have a simple problem: I print large TeX files onto a LaserWriter Plus
which has 93000 bytes free. The TeX job (using dvips) prints a few pages
and stops. I suspect that the printer is running out of memory. There is
no way (that I know of) to get the printer's error message.

So I tried downloading ehandler.ps from adobe which makes the printer
print onto paper various log stuff.

This does not work. I only have ever seen a few messages from ehandler.
So my question is how do I use it? Am I supposed to send it to the
printer once? Once before each job? Or should it be edited into each
postscript file I send the printer? In particular I get no error messages
from the job that does not finish.

Thanks,
Tony Cooper
sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz

woody@chinacat.unicom.com (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun20.123642.12974@am.dsir.govt.nz> sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz writes:
>I have a simple problem: I print large TeX files onto a LaserWriter Plus
>which has 93000 bytes free. The TeX job (using dvips) prints a few pages
>and stops. I suspect that the printer is running out of memory. There is
>from the job that does not finish.

This is typical of an out of memory condition. 93K is a *very* small
amount of memory.  I realize that there are some 1.5 meg machines out there.
You might need to look carefully at the output to see if save/restore
pairs are being used.  save will mark the state of the memory, and restore
will restore the memory back to the state it was at when saved.  This will
cause any temporary garbage to be removed and return the space to VM.
Cheers
Woody