[comp.lang.postscript] alternatives to Adobe's Transcript?

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (06/29/91)

Adobe's current prices for the Transcript package for printing to PS
printers from Unix are too high for our budget.

Are there approximately equivalent packages from other sources?
We're interested primarily in:
	- printing ordinary Unix text files to PS printers,
	  with about the same bells and whistles as you would
	  get with vanilla pr and lpr
	- spooling PS files to PS printers (i.e., files whose
	  first bytes are: %!
	- printing Unix man pages (we don't have ditroff, just
	  plain [nt]roff)
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (07/01/91)

In article <khaw.678131541@parcplace.com> khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
>Adobe's current prices for the Transcript package for printing to PS
>printers from Unix are too high for our budget.

>Are there approximately equivalent packages from other sources?
>We're interested primarily in:
>	- printing ordinary Unix text files to PS printers,
>	  with about the same bells and whistles as you would
>	  get with vanilla pr and lpr
>	- spooling PS files to PS printers (i.e., files whose
>	  first bytes are: %!

Almost everything you've described is shipped with the basic UNIX System V
Release 4. Using the 'filter' mechanism of the lp subsystem, you can
print ASCII files, troff and PostScript with a minimum of fuss.
PostScript support is explicitly built in and documented in the generic
Release 4 System Administrator's Guide.

>	- printing Unix man pages (we don't have ditroff, just
>	  plain [nt]roff)

The Release 4 included filters work with ditroff. You might want to
consider something like freely-available psroff, which converts old-troff
output either to ditroff or PS output.

--
   Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
         evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504