[alt.sources] Encrypt

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (04/09/88)

Just a quick note:
	The 'encrypt' challenge has been solved (rather easily due to a bug
	in the code), the winner will, of course, receive their prize, and
	there will be another soon (with the bug fixed!)...

The current people who have indicated that they have the solution AND
provided both the decoded text and their method of attack (only Jim pointed
out the broken "AND").

rand-unix.ARPA!jim (Jim Blaise)
brown@nsavax (?)

There is also a third person who did not include the methodology they used....
they will receive the prize IF and only IF the remainder is received here
within 48 hours... otherwise Jim gets the prize.

Thanks for participating!
---
Karl Denninger                 |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910
...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl            | "Quality solutions for work or play"

brooks@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Eugene D. Brooks III) (04/10/88)

In article <947@ddsw1.UUCP> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>Just a quick note:
>	The 'encrypt' challenge has been solved (rather easily due to a bug
>	in the code), the winner will, of course, receive their prize, and
>	there will be another soon (with the bug fixed!)...
I wouldn't bother fixing the bug, the encryption program as noted by Jim
is still easily cracked with little effort.  For a REAL education, post
a challenge to crack the DES standard algorithm with say a few screenfulls
of english text and a key of your choice.  The people from rand might want
to wait a good while before telly you they have cracked it, so you can't
really find out how quickly they did the job.  Needless to say they won't
tell you their favorite methods of attack.