[net.micro] BSR computer interfaces

ddl@husc6.HARVARD.EDU (Dan Lanciani) (08/17/86)

	There has occasionally been interest in BSR/computer interfaces
expressed on the net.  While setting up my system, I have purchased and
worked with what are probably the three most popular versions.  (In any
event, they are the only ones I found...)  I have no interest in any of
the companies and this information is based on personal experience only.
	The three units are, in no particular order:  the Heath GD-1530
purchased as a kit at retail ~$100, the X-10 Powerhouse Computer Interface
purchased from DAK mail order ~$50, and the Radio Shack Color Computer
Plug'n Power interface purchased on sale ~$40.
	The Heath GD-1530 requires a grounded outlet and receives
RS-232 input at up to 2400 baud from the computer via an opto-isolator.
The grounded case and opto-isolator provide protection from the internal
circuit which floats at one side of the line.  No provision is made for
returning data to the computer; in fact, there are only two pins in the
RS-232 connector. A simple command set allows generation of any standard
BSR command; commands consist of a house code followed by a number or
function: [A-P][ON|OFF|A|C|BR|DIM|[1-16]] (A=all lights on, C=all off).
Unfortunately, the GD-1530 would not function correctly in my home.  Many
lights which work correctly from a standard BSR controller or timer will
not respond to commands from the GD-1530.  Modules connected near to
the GD-1530 work fine, so this may not be a problem for some.  (The unit
has been sent to Heath for examination and they declare it to function
normally; I have observed that the output signal is somewhat distorted
but this may be unrelated.)
	The X-10 Powerhouse Computer Interface operates at 600 baud
only and does not require a grounded outlet.  It would appear that
it is optically isolated at the output transformer.  Communication
uses a "packet" oriented format rather than ASCII commands with each
packet acknowledged by the controller.  In addition to the expected
direct commands, this unit includes a 128-event timer and a real-time
clock which can switch modules on and off without computer attention.
The clock, timer, and a small area of general-purpose memory are
protected against power failure by a 9-volt battery.  The general-purpose
memory is used by the supplied software to "remember" module locations.
Since I do not have a computer supported by X-10 (most popular brands
are available) I used the detailed protocol description supplied to
write my own software.  Those desiring a standard RS-232 interface
should order the version for the IBM-PC as it includes the correct
cable.  Finally, the X-10 unit includes 8 switches for direct control
of units 1-8 of the "base" housecode (a settable option).
	The Radio Shack controller is very similar to the X-10; however,
it has only 4 on/off switches for direct control and is somewhat smaller.
Programming information is not supplied but the included program pack
does most of what one might want for simple applications.  Connection
is through the Color Computer's Cassette port, freeing the RS-232 port
for other uses.  Of course, if you don't have a Color Computer this
won't do you much good...
	I will be happy to mail further information (if I have it)
to anyone interested.

* [a-zA-Z]* is a trademark of [a-zA-Z]*
* The information herein does not necessarily apply in *this* universe.

					Dan Lanciani
					ddl@harvard.*

bob@multivu.UUCP (Bob Hutson) (08/18/86)

In article <184@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> ddl@husc6.HARVARD.EDU (Dan Lanciani) writes:

>	There has occasionally been interest in BSR/computer interfaces
>expressed on the net.
>Unfortunately, the GD-1530 would not function correctly in my home.  Many
>lights which work correctly from a standard BSR controller or timer will
>not respond to commands from the GD-1530.

I have the same problem.  In my case, the problem was traced to the
fuse.  It's a 1/8 amp fuse with a 22 ohm resister mounted inside the
glass (in series with the fuse element).  It appears as though a
significant portion of the signal is being dropped across this
resister.  A BSR unit contains an almost identical output curcuit but
without the resister.  As a test, I tried replacing the fuse with a
normal fast-blow of the same rating.  This solved the problem but
cannot be considered as a final solution.

I don't understand the function of the resister, but I'm sure Heathkit
had something in mind when they designed it in.  If anyone could
enlighten me as to its purpose in life,  a proper solution should be
almost trivial.

Please reply via e-mail.  I'll contact Heathkit before summarizing.  Thanks
in advance.
--
		~ bob

         Bob Hutson
        (408) 946-6700 x4131

        ucbvax!ucdavis \
                         -- !lll-crg!lll-lcc!vecpyr!altos86!multivu!bob
                seismo /

munck@mitre-bedford.arpa (Bob Munck) (08/18/86)

   A small addendum to Dan Lanciani's excellent posting on the various
BSR X-10 computer interfaces.  For many years, I've been using the OLD
Radio Shack Plug'n Power for the Color Computer.  This is a small grey
box that also uses the cassette port; the cassette recorder can then be
plugged into it and one or the other selected by a switch on the Plug'n
Power (I imagine the new version has the same capability).

   The old P'nP has a much lower level interface: it is essentially a
200KHz oscillator connected to the power lines and triggered by an
output signal from the cassette port and a zero-crossing detector that
pulses the cassette input when the power line current crosses zero (i.e.
once every 1/120 second).  BSR signals are synchronized to this
zero-crossing time.  It is up to software in the CoCo to wait for the
input pulse and then generate the right coding and timing of output
pulses.  I had to reverse-engineer the RS-supplied software, with help
from Steve Ciarcia's article in Popular Electronics (RIP), to be able to
write my own support.  Two weeks after I succeeded, RAINBOW published a
program that did the same thing.

   WISH:  I'm happy with the old P'nP I have, except that I really would
like INPUT as well as output.  That is, I'd like a 200Khz detector that
would pulse an input line; I could then write software to decode the
received signal.  Given this, I could use regular command consoles (and
the telephone interface, burglar alarm interface, etc) to send commands
to the CoCo on one set of house codes and have it control devices on
another set.  It would therefore know the current state of all devices
and be able to "refresh" the state at intervals.  Also, my CoCo can
(Real Soon Now) drive IR emitters with the right signals to imitate all
the remote controllers of my stereo, VCR, LaserDisk, ceiling fan, and
artificial cat; with proper coding, I could use X-10 consoles to control
all of them as well.
                         -- Bob Munck, MITRE
ARPA: munck@mitre-bedford
uucp: {allegra,genrad,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,decvax}!linus!mbunix!munck
work: The MITRE Corporation, MS A430, Bedford, MA 01730
      (617)271-3671       room 3A230
home: 9 Kendall Road, Lexington, MA  02173-7118
      (617)861-8846

tomh@hpfcms.HP.COM ( Tom Huigbretse ) (08/26/86)

I just called DAK.  They dropped the price on the controller
(IBM version) to $20.00!