[alt.sources] ELISA or other such program

ericc@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Eric Cook) (01/24/89)

Greetings Netland.

Does anyone out there have a PD porgram that responds intelligently to
conversation spoken (typed) to it?  I am developing a bartender in an online
game who needs to appear to be somewhat philosophical.  Several years ago, the
Elisa program from, I believe, MIT was popular (did I just date myself?)  Is
there an 80's or even 70's evolution of such a program around?  Please email or
post any such routines.

Many thanks,

Eric

ericc@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (01/26/89)

In article <4021@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> ericc@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Eric Cook) writes:
>Greetings Netland.
>
>Does anyone out there have a PD porgram that responds intelligently to
>conversation spoken (typed) to it?  I am developing a bartender in an online
I would like to know about this, too.
Could anyone please post it to al.sources (if available - of course)

-Axel
--
Domain:        fischer@netmbx.UUCP
Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer

isolated@alix.UUCP (20 James D. Corder) (01/27/89)

In article <2043@netmbx.UUCP> fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) writes:
>In article <4021@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> ericc@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Eric Cook) writes:
>>Greetings Netland.
>>
>>Does anyone out there have a PD porgram that responds intelligently to
>>conversation spoken (typed) to it?  I am developing a bartender in an online

	If so please post it!

Thank you,
James D. Corder
...osu-cis!alix!jdc

seg@pbhya.PacBell.COM (S. E. Grove) (01/29/89)

In article <4021@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> ericc@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Eric Cook) writes:
You can find a "BASIC" version of the program in the book "more Basic
Computer Games" from Workman Publishing, New York. I can't vouch for
how good it is, since I had to hand type it in, and have not found
time to debug my typos. In other words what I typed works but not
well. It would give you the right direction to go in, but you would
have to translate the program into whatever language you wished to use.
	Stephen Grove

mcmiller@uokmax.UUCP (Michael C Miller) (01/29/89)

You can get a copy of ELIZA II from the following company.It sells
for 19.95US .. I haven't used it and I have no experience with this
company other than a copy of their catalog... good luck..

							....sans

		Dynacomp, inc.
  		178 Phillips road
		Webster , NY  14580

  		(716) 265 4040
		(800) 828 6772    24hr order phone (outside NY)

--
<  sans =>   mcmiller@uokmax.UUCP   or  mcmiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  >
< Abe said 'where you want this killin' done ?'                         >

scott@flounder.cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (01/30/89)

In article <23098@pbhya.PacBell.COM> seg@pbhya.PacBell.COM (S. E. Grove) writes:
>In article <4021@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> ericc@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Eric Cook) writes:
>You can find a "BASIC" version of the program in the book "more Basic
>Computer Games" from Workman Publishing, New York. I can't vouch for
>how good it is, since I had to hand type it in, and have not found
>time to debug my typos. In other words what I typed works but not
>well. It would give you the right direction to go in, but you would
>have to translate the program into whatever language you wished to use.
>	Stephen Grove

I just latched onto this group to grab the 2600 stuff.  I have since read
about the Eliza programs.... I did not know that it was part of GNU-EMACS
but that will be neat to play with.

I do know that there are MANY programs out that will 'talk' with you.  For
example, I have seen eliza for the apple and the atari  8bit.  I also have
that book 'More Basic Computer Games' and I think the word BASIC in the
title has a double meaning-- those only two good games in the book are
'hunt the wumpus' and 'eliza'  With that book you can translate eliza for
an machine that uses microsoft basic (ie:  you have have an array of strings-
a$(1) and a$(2) are different.... this is NOT how is was in  the old atari
basic-- but there is a simple 3 byte fix for this...)

Anyway, what you do next is get the simple speech program for your computer
(right now, mine is speech.tos for the ST) but there is also SAM for the
apples and the atari 8bit.  You can modify the eliza program (change
2 lines) and then program will then REALLY talk back to you!!!

have fun!
ps:  Yes, I have both the basic eliza and the TRUE talking eliza versions for
the atari 8bit.... No, I don't know where it is since I let someone borrow
all my 8bit disks and I have not received them back, yet!

   Scott D. Yelich                           scott@cs.odu.edu  [128.82.8.1]

mech@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Paul J. Mech) (01/31/89)

In article <23098@pbhya.PacBell.COM>, seg@pbhya.PacBell.COM (S. E. Grove) writes:
> Computer Games" from Workman Publishing, New York. I can't vouch for
> how good it is, since I had to hand type it in, and have not found
> time to debug my typos. In other words what I typed works but not
> well. It would give you the right direction to go in, but you would
> have to translate the program into whatever language you wished to use.

I typed it in by hand into a TRS-80 II about seven years ago. Other than
modifying it for the particular flavor of BASIC, it worked just fine. After
a bit of work, I was able to add new kewords and simularly preterb the
program. If my memory serves, it wouldn't be hard to move it to C.

Paul J. Mech
mech@ace.cs.OHIOU.EDU

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (02/06/89)

as far as i know 'racter' is the most advanced prgm one can converse with.
however it's not a psychiatrist sort of prgm. unfortunately i never was able
to buy.
--
Heiko Blume | lazy  : blume@netmbx.UUCP
Seekorso 29 | crazy : ...!{pyramid,unido,altger}!tmpmbx!netmbx!blume

eiger@unigs.CH (Eiger Richard) (02/13/89)

I'm looking for the racter programm on a UNIX V.3 68030 System. Does Anyone know
a source for it ??

Please email to ..cernvax!unizh!unigs!eiger

Tnx.            R. Eiger