[net.news.group] Forget About Newsgroup Restructuring

alb@alice.UUCP (Adam L. Buchsbaum) (03/08/84)

I am completely against the proposed streamlining of the net.

1) All the suggestions to date take for granted that everyone
   runs 2.10 or later (they either remove the top level newsgroup
   for distribution or they assume >14 character groupnames)
   Everyone should run 2.10 or better software, but not everyone
   does, and we cannot cut part of the net off.

2) The chaos that this would confuse would outdo the minor benefit
   it would bring about.

Newsgroups do NOT have to be strictly ordered.  As long as
we are neat from now on, things will be OK; we do not have to
account for previous years of neglect.

All that needs to be done is to periodically make a survey
of groups and remove the dead ones.  New groups should be made
on a basis of how much discussion there currently is on the topic,
not on the basis of neat ideas.  These simple measures will provide
for a neater net, and they will not cause the confusion that the
gross reorganizations will.

Adam