[alt.sources] wanted, info, sources, code

eisen@contact.UUCP (Martin Loeffler) (02/22/89)

 I'm running a public-access bbs in a 386 IBM compatable machine (Xenix V2.2)
and I have a bit of a problem that I'm sure has been solved before. I need a
way to log a shell user off after a set period of time. The timing part is
simple, but I have not found a way to remove them and their tasks easily. I
was wondering if there was a function or utility that I missed, or if anyone
out there has written anything to this end. Please e-mail to me if you have
any suggestions. Thanks!

--
                           "Knowledge once gained
                    casts a faint light beyond it's own

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/23/89)

Sure, no problem. All you need is a little daemon running which checks
your idle time (with whatever qualification you want to use) and and
sends a hangup signal to the shell. It can be started by the profile,
and gets the parent id from getppid() so it know who to watch. I had one
for a while, but I switched to Korn shell and that has timeout built in.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (02/25/89)

In article <396@contact.UUCP>, eisen@contact.UUCP (Martin Loeffler) writes:

>  I'm running a public-access bbs in a 386 IBM compatable machine (Xenix V2.2)
> and I have a bit of a problem that I'm sure has been solved before. I need a
> way to log a shell user off after a set period of time. The timing part is
> simple, but I have not found a way to remove them and their tasks easily. I
> was wondering if there was a function or utility that I missed, or if anyone
> out there has written anything to this end. Please e-mail to me if you have
> any suggestions. Thanks!

There is a program called untamo that will log users off after a specified
amount of time and/or after a specified period of inactivity. You can
download the Xenix version from my system. The particulars on how to reach
the system can be found in my .signature below. If you have a TrailBlazer
Plus, 19.2K/9600 is supported. If you want to switch to my bbs software,
you can download the full source code. Usage time and inactivity time are
built into the code.

Sandy

--
Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz               XBBS   714-898-8634
UUCP: ....att!hermix!alphacm!sandy      ....trwrb!ucla-an!alphacm!sandy

erict@flatline.UUCP (Lemmy Caution) (02/26/89)

In article <6332@turnkey.TCC.COM> sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) writes:
>In article <396@contact.UUCP>, eisen@contact.UUCP (Martin Loeffler) writes:
>>
>>  I'm running a public-access bbs in a 386 IBM compatable machine (Xenix V2.2)
>There is a program called untamo that will log users off after a specified

Please.  alt.sources is for posting only.  This dicussion belongs
in comp.sources.wanted.

--
J. Eric Townsend | "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs.  This
 uunet!sugar!flatline!erict | is your brain on drugs with spam and toast."