[alt.sources] CRISP: tacky use of my splay tree code.

daveb@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Brower) (03/09/89)

I was motivated enough to unpack CRISP, and very curious when it
included a directory "splay".  I'd tried to encourage the use of splay
trees by posting a library in comp.sources.unix last year.  The code in
CRISP is obviously derived from my library, but contains not a whit of
credit from me or acknowledgement of the source.

Now, I didn't put in an explicit copyright, mostly because I borrowed
the code in Pascal from Doug Jones in the first place.  But my
understanding is that UK copyright (really Berne convention) is implicit
unless the author explicitly denies it.  So it is really galling to see
a copyright on this editor that uses my code without permission or
acknowledgement.

Phthhhhpt!!! to you Mr Fox.  It is tacky at best to rip code off and
imply that it is yours.  How much else of CRISP did you steal?

-dB

PS, a version of my library with a bug fix to spdeq should be in the
hopper of comp.sources.unix.  I'll mail copies to interested individuals
in the meantime.
--
"If it was easy, we'd hire someone cheaper than you to do it."
{amdahl, cbosgd, mtxinu, ptsfa, sun}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.uucp

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (03/10/89)

In article <2706@rtech.rtech.com> daveb@rtech.com (Dave Brower) writes:
>...  The code in
>CRISP is obviously derived from my library, but contains not a whit of
>credit from me or acknowledgement of the source.

Well, consider that Conroy got no mention, although CRISP is derived
from his PD uEMACS, (just browse the code to convince yourself)
probably version 30 or earlier...

Sigh.

oz
--
... and I say to them, 	    		Usenet:    oz@nexus.yorku.ca
   `Where the hell were you        	......!uunet!utai!yunexus!oz

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (03/11/89)

In article <2706@rtech.rtech.com>, daveb@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Brower) writes:
: I'd tried to encourage the use of splay trees by posting a library in
: comp.sources.unix last year.  The code in CRISP is obviously derived
: from my library, but contains not a whit of credit from me or
: acknowledgement of the source.
:
: Now, I didn't put in an explicit copyright, ... So it is really galling
: to see a copyright on this editor that uses my code without permission or
: acknowledgement.
:
: Phthhhhpt!!! to you Mr Fox.  It is tacky at best to rip code off and
: imply that it is yours.  How much else of CRISP did you steal?

Well, you're in good company Dave, Mr. Fox also seems to be claiming
ownership of Doug Gwyn's directory access library

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!mnetor!ontmoh!ontenv!soley	| Contents of this message are

john@hcr.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) (03/12/89)

In article <440@ontenv.UUCP> soley@ontenv.UUCP writes:
|In article <2706@rtech.rtech.com>, daveb@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Brower) writes:
|: I'd tried to encourage the use of splay trees by posting a library in
|: comp.sources.unix last year.  The code in CRISP is obviously derived
|: from my library, but contains not a whit of credit from me or
|: acknowledgement of the source.
|: ...
|:
|: Phthhhhpt!!! to you Mr Fox.  It is tacky at best to rip code off and
|: imply that it is yours.  How much else of CRISP did you steal?
|
|Well, you're in good company Dave, Mr. Fox also seems to be claiming
|ownership of Doug Gwyn's directory access library

From the docs:

	"These modules contain libraries that either I have built
	or have been collected from postings on the Usenet."

Now it may have been (ok, it was) contrary to netiquette not to
explicitly credit the authors, but I certainly don't see justification
for terms like "steal" or "claiming ownership".  Especially if these
libraries were posted to "encourage [their] use", it seems a bit
juvenile to let your nose get too far out of joint.
--
John R. MacMillan		Wasn't me she was foolin' 'cause she knew
HCR Corporation			what she was doin' when she told me how to

fox@marlow.uucp (Paul Fox) (03/15/89)

In article <2706@rtech.rtech.com> daveb@rtech.com (Dave Brower) writes:

>Phthhhhpt!!! to you Mr Fox.  It is tacky at best to rip code off and
>imply that it is yours.  How much else of CRISP did you steal?

My sincerest of apologies for this oversight. I dragged in a few
other pieces of software from the net (notably Doug Gwyns directory access
stuff. I even tried Henry Spencers regexp code but had to give up
trying to modify it for CRISPs uses).

I would like to make a public apology for this, but I must explain -
I originally tried to use your code 'as is', but had great difficulty
trying to use it. It seemed to have bugs in it, which could be down
to my misunderstanding of how your code worked.

Anyway, once I understood what you were doing, and I kept re-reading
the ACM article, I modified the library to the point where I had
to remove nearly all your code. The way that the splay trees in CRISP
are used are different in their usage symptoms compared to the
ACM articles assumptions, that I 'hacked' them.

My sincere apologies for not leaving in your copyright/copyleft.
I will amend that for future releases.

Also, I would like to put a forward declaration in to apologise
to anyone else I may have offended by using their code and not duly
acknowledging it.

--
Tel: +44 628 891313 x. 212		 Westthorpe House,

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (03/16/89)

In article <590@alice.marlow.uucp> fox@marlow.UUCP (Paul Fox) writes:
>In article <2706@rtech.rtech.com> daveb@rtech.com (Dave Brower) writes:

Please move this discussion to comp.sources.d.  Alt.sources if for source
postings only.  Posting messages here plays havoc with automatic archivers.

--
J. Eric Townsend |             "Texas: It's like another country,
 uunet!sugar!flatline!erict |   but a lot closer." Texas TV travel ad.