[alt.sources] QRT 1.5

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (03/24/89)

AARRGGH!!!

The four QRT postings took up 76K, 26K, 35K, and 80K in my
spool directory -- four postings.

When I ran uudecode and uncompress I got 200K, 61K, 61K, and 174K;
this could have fit in eight postings, and I WOULD HAVE HAD SOURCE
TO READ without doing all that work.

Major bummer, major mistake.
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (03/25/89)

In article <1610@fig.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>AARRGGH!!!
>
>The four QRT postings took up 76K, 26K, 35K, and 80K in my
>spool directory -- four postings.
>
>When I ran uudecode and uncompress I got 200K, 61K, 61K, and 174K;
>this could have fit in eight postings, and I WOULD HAVE HAD SOURCE
>TO READ without doing all that work.
>
>Major bummer, major mistake.

What mistake?

The files uudecoded, uncompressed, and untarred ok. It only took 4 postings
instead of 8. There was source code included. It took me about two minutes
to dearchive everything. Is that a lot of work for a free ray-tracer?

I don't get it.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Who sometimes never learns.       {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (Jerry D Whitnell) (03/28/89)

Sean Casey (sean@ms.uky.edu) writes...
|In article <1610@fig.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
|>AARRGGH!!!
|>
|>Major bummer, major mistake.
|
|What mistake?
|
|The files uudecoded, uncompressed, and untarred ok. It only took 4 postings
|instead of 8. There was source code included. It took me about two minutes
|to dearchive everything. Is that a lot of work for a free ray-tracer?

It is for those of us on non-UNIX(TM) machine.  I got the stuff on my Mac, now
I have to go find uudecode, compress and tar for the Mac as well.  Since I
use those about once in a blue moon (quick check outside to see what color the
moon is...), I'm going to have to work alot more then I would if it
were in shar form.

|Sean

Jerry Whitnell
jwhitnell@cup.portal.com

welli@thermob.UUCP (M. Wellner) (03/30/89)

In article <11332@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

>The files uudecoded, uncompressed, and untarred ok. It only took 4 postings
>instead of 8. There was source code included. It took me about two minutes
>to dearchive everything. Is that a lot of work for a free ray-tracer?

I also untared all arcieves, but I still miss the source of RAY2 for the
Amiga-Users which is discribed in the documentation.
May someone post it, if it isn't to large?

Sincerely,
--
|       |      /\   /\   `        Michael Wellner
|   |   |  /\  \/   \/   |        Kapweg 3
                                  Tel.Nr.: 030/4954026

Nothing's so worse that it can't get worser -
               accept my English.
==
UUCP:   ...!unido!tmpmbx!thermob!welli