[net.micro] BIX: Why Bother?, and CompuServe?

JAZBO%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (James H. Coombs) (08/17/86)

I have been participating in the BIX conferences for about a month now
and am finding it quite valuable.  BIX provides an excellent
"microbytes" conference of news, and a number of vendors provide on-line
support, including MicroSoft and Lattice.  There are others as well, but
I don't follow them.  So, if you are having trouble getting the
attention of some of these big companies, you might find that BIX helps
solve that problem.  You might also appreciate the bug reports and
fixes.  Lattice, for instance, just announced a major bug in the latest
version of their C compiler (3.01?).  [Sorry, I don't use Lattice, so I
didn't record the information.]

If you are concerned about the cost ($11 an hour with Tymnet charges),
be reassured that you can keep them down by being selective about the
conferences that you join and by doing your reading and writing off
line.  Use a ProComm script, for example, to get all of the new postings
in just a few minutes.  Write responses off line and upload them into
the editor when you are ready to post them.  Also, if you are only
mildly interested in a conference, follow the digest and read only those
messages that are of interest to you.  Finally, don't upload or download
files.  These procedures keep my billable time down to about five
minutes a day, and I expect to get it down even further.

--Jim

P.S. BIX information is published in each issue of Byte. Don't judge the
conferences by what they publish in the "Best of BIX" though.  The best
of BIX for me is the recommendations and the decommendations, and you
know that Byte can't afford to publish those.

P.P.S. I looked into CompuServe, but they started pulling a bait and
switch on me.  [If you want to duplicate this, just call them up with
your Hayes free introductory offer in hand; they have turned those poor
operators into machines.  Make sure you get a full night of sleep before
you do this if you want to understand what they are saying.] So, anyway,
IS CompuServe worth it?
Acknowledge-To: James H. Coombs <JAZBO@BROWNVM>

robj@ur-tut.UUCP (Bob Johnson) (08/20/86)

I've almost completely left CompuServe in favor of GEnie, the
General Electric service.  GE only charges $5/hour at 1200 baud
and upload time is free, so I expect them to take some market
share away from CompuServe.

lbl@druhi.UUCP (LocklearLB) (08/22/86)

In article <609@ur-tut.UUCP>, robj@ur-tut.UUCP writes:
> I've almost completely left CompuServe in favor of GEnie, the
> General Electric service.  GE only charges $5/hour at 1200 baud
> and upload time is free, so I expect them to take some market
> share away from CompuServe.

Just as an aside, CompuServe upload time is free also.  This change
in their policy occurred in the last month or so.

Barry Locklear

gardner@kodak.UUCP (dick gardner) (08/25/86)

My interest in Compuserve has dwindled, too.  The cost can get
out of hand very quickly.

How about giving us more information on the GE network?  It sounds
like it is more affordable.  How about the data? does it compare to
Compuserve?  Is there a local phone number?

=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

             Dick Gardner
             Eastman Kodak Co.
             Rochester, New York  14650
             (716) 477-1002
       UUCP: rochester!kodak!gardner

To err is human -- to really screw it up
		   you need a computer!
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

robj@ur-tut.UUCP (Bob Johnson) (08/26/86)

Distribution:usa

I tried out GENIE because they sent me a discount signup offer. The
service (for me) is about the same as Compuserve since I only use the
PC section.  There are more articles than I can read and more programs
than I would ever have time to download and try, so even if it is
smaller than Compuserve it really doesn't affect me that much.  GE doesn't
seem to have as many flashy features (e.g. electronic banking) as of
now, but I never use those things anyhow.  The bottom line for me is
approximately the same functionality at much lower cost; I'll probably
get more information since I can afford to browse it longer.

al@infoswx.UUCP (08/30/86)

GEnie also has PC-Sabre, so you can make airline, hotel, etc. reservations.