[alt.sources] Help me - please!

fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) (06/06/89)

Hello to everyone readin' this!

I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).
I am not writing this cry for help in alt.test, because alt.test
seems to be the only group that carries postings to the US.

Please help, I'm a bit sad it I can't reach you in the US,
for I really do like you and your country.

Yours,
Frank.

--
+--------------------------------+  You look at every face in a crowd
+--------------------------------+

twb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.w.beattie) (06/06/89)

In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
>I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
>systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
>a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).

Your posting made it here.
---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com
Dem bats is smart, they use radar   -The Dumb Guy

scottj@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (L. Scott Johnson) (06/06/89)

Yeah, we can hear you all the way in South Carolina, USA.

+------------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|L. Scott Johnson                          |        SAUSAGE  PRINCIPLE        |
|NCR Corporation - Technical Publications  |        ------------------        |
|3325 Platt Springs Road                   |                                  |
|West Columbia, SC, 29169                  |    People who love sausage and   |
+------------------------------------------+                                  |
|                scott@tp2.Columbia.NCR.COM|   respect the law should never   |
|         ...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!tp2!scott|                                  |
|...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!ncrcae!tp2!scott|    watch either one being made   |
+------------------------------------------+                                  |
| (803) 791-6435                           |                                  |
+------------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

stefan@yendor.phx.mcd.mot.com (Stefan Loesch) (06/06/89)

In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
>I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
>systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
>a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).

Although I hate too use that newsgroup for this, I just have to reply
to that one:
Hi Frank!
I'm a German from Munich, living here in Phoenix AZ, and can perfectly
read your news.
Die Weissbierversorgung hier ist katastrophal!
(For the americans: The supply of weissbier (a special bavarian beer)
		    here is f...ing bad.

	regards
		Stefan

dmaison@hpcupt1.HP.COM (David Maison) (06/07/89)

Hi Frank!

Your article made it to Cupertino!

- Dave.

petes@hpindwa.HP.COM (Peter Smoot) (06/07/89)

/ hpindwa:alt.sources / fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) /  5:32 pm  Jun  5, 1989 /

>Hello to everyone readin' this!

>I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
>systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me

Made it to sunny California!  That's almost as far away as you can get.

-- Pete

csachs@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Colin Sachs) (06/07/89)

In article <189000002@stasys>, fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
> ...systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
> a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).
> I am not writing this cry for help in alt.test, because alt.test
> seems to be the only group that carries postings to the US.

You're comming through OK... at least as far as Ohio.

Colin

zort@nyser (Bob Zort) (06/07/89)

 well frank you got to us here in the usa.

                   BOB

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (06/07/89)

In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
>I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
>systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
>a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).

It made it here

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:466-9324; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (06/07/89)

In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:

|Hello to everyone readin' this!
|
|I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
|systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
|a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).
|I am not writing this cry for help in alt.test, because alt.test
|seems to be the only group that carries postings to the US.
|
|Please help, I'm a bit sad it I can't reach you in the US,
|for I really do like you and your country.

	This posting did not arrive in Toronto
	so I could not respond to it. If this
	were the US, I could have answered...

--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

alastair@sco.COM (big juicy zit) (06/07/89)

In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:

>Hello to everyone readin' this!

Hello  to you too!

>I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
>systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
>a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).

Well, I'm in Santa Cruz, CA, way off on the far edge of this continental plate,
and I can here ya just fine...

>Please help, I'm a bit sad it I can't reach you in the US,
>for I really do like you and your country.

Well, that makes one of us, But whaddya expect from someone from
Santa Cruz?  [-%

>Yours,
>Frank.

and mine!
al.

--
Alastair Sutherland -- alastair@sco.COM
"It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism

nathani@rd-atlas.UUCP (Jayesh Naithani) (06/07/89)

We received your posting in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

- Jayesh

PS:  Extremely sorry about the other reply via mail.  It was accidental.

--
Jayesh Naithani
nathani%rd-atlas@src.honeywell.com

bill@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Frolik) (06/07/89)

> I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
> systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me

Hello from Corvallis, Oregon!

Bill Frolik	Hewlett-Packard Co
hp-pcd!bill	Corvallis, Oregon

chuck@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu (Charles Joyce) (06/07/89)

>In article <189000002@stasys>, fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
> ...systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
> a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).
> I am not writing this cry for help in alt.test, because alt.test
> seems to be the only group that carries postings to the US.

	Welcome to Tennessee!

Chuck

zu@ethz.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) (06/08/89)

>I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
>systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me

Frank,

you came through to Switzerland, loud and clear.

		...urs

UUCP (dumb): ...{backbone}!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!zu
    (smart): netto@norad.UUCP
Fido: 2:302/801.36

dvlsan@dionysos.cs.umu.se (06/08/89)

>In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
>I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
>systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
>a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).

It reached here, at least.

/Stefan
(dvlsan@zeus.cs.umu.se)

adt@hpausla.HP.COM (Andrew Tune) (06/08/89)

In article <189000002@stasys>, fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
> ...systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
> a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).
> I am not writing this cry for help in alt.test, because alt.test
> seems to be the only group that carries postings to the US.

Loud and clear in Australia!

adt.

iv@fuzzy.tandy.com (06/08/89)

/* Written  5:32 pm  Jun  5, 1989 by stasys!fkk in alt.sources */
/* ---------- "Help me - please!" ---------- */
char msg[] = "\
>> I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach\n\
>> systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me\n\
>> a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).\n\
>> --\n\
>> +--------------------------------+  You look at every face in a crowd\n\
>> | Frank Kaefer | fkk@stasys.UUCP |  Some shine and some keep you guessin'\n\
>> |   (Compuserve: 72427,2101)     |  ( OU812 )\n\
>> +--------------------------------+\n\
";
char reply[] = "\n\
Hello, Frank!  You've made it into Fort Worth, Texas, USA!\n\
\n\
IV				Domain: iv@fuzzy.Tandy.COM\n\
(aka John Elliott IV)		 UUCP: ...!texbell!letni!hal6000!fuzzy!iv\n\
1120 Judy Avenue		   or: ...!decvax!microsoft!trsvax!fuzzy!iv\n\
Benbrook, TX 76126-3449		Phone: 817/249-2147; 7:00pm-11:00pm CST;HFSN\n\
";

main() {
	write(1, msg, sizeof (msg));
	write(1, reply, sizeof (reply));

	exit(0);
}

lalonde@mitel.misemi ( iccad) (06/09/89)

Frank:
  You made to Canada.

--
======================
Terry Lalonde

dave@bvax.UUCP (Dave Wallace) (06/10/89)

>In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
>I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
>systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
>a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).

Welcome to the Great White North A.K.A.  Canada

Dave Wallace
Bell Canada ( on week days )
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

uunet!attcan!utzoo!censor!bvax!dave

mguyott@mirror.UUCP (Marc Guyott) (06/10/89)

In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
%
%Hello to everyone readin' this!
%
%I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
%systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
%a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).
%
%Yours,
%Frank.

I couldn't resist 8-)!  Hello to Frank et. al. from Cambridge, Massachusetts.
----
              "All my life I always wanted to BE somebody.
               I see now I should have been more specific."
                             Jane Wagner
Marc Guyott                                         mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140                617/661-0777

z8my@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (06/10/89)

In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:

>Hello to everyone readin' this!

Well Hello!

>I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
>systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
>a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).
>I am not writing this cry for help in alt.test, because alt.test
>seems to be the only group that carries postings to the US.

Well we get you here in Ithaca, New York, home of Cornell University.

>Please help, I'm a bit sad it I can't reach you in the US,
>for I really do like you and your country.

It seems, from the other postings in this group, that you were heard
in many parts of the U.S. (and other parts of the world...)

>Yours,
>Frank.

Samuel Paik

Internet:  d65y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
Bitnet:    d65y@crnlvax5

fischer@utower.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (06/12/89)

In article <189000003@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
[some cries deleted]

I must say I was really disappointed as I read in Franks article that he has
received lots of hate-flames.
What goes on in the minds of some guys ? I can't believe it.
This here is germany not USA. We have no chance to join the UseNet without
having major costs. As you may have followed the discussion in news.admin
you know that we have a very difficult position here.
I'm a student too and I have around $200 costs per month to join UseNet as
an UNOFFICIAL host not know by unido.
For every KB mail I received it's charged for $0.70.

I will never understand the behavior of some guys who think they can rule the
net. Especially the guy who has send the german map. I think that would be
around $25 - $40 for the poor Frank.
And Frank has said he has to pay for mail. That guy should pay the bill.

But that's the way it always will be - some guys think they are better and/or
have more rights than others. Or just want to find someone they can blame.

I would assume we stop the discussion here because this a sources group.

Don't be sorry Frank - you received far more nice replies !

Really disappointed by the short view some americans have shown,

	Axel

--
That is not dead        |  ...!uunet!pyramid!     |  Beam me up, Scotty -
Which can eternal lie   |  tmpmbx!utower!fischer  |    there is no intelligent

fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) (06/13/89)

Dear readers of this newsgroup,

First I want to thank you all for your replies. I am really happy that
so many people answered me. But I also got some flames (via mail) and I
want to apologize for my stupidity to post my shout for help in this
newsgroup. In one flame (from Larry Campbell - campbell@bsw.com) I
received the whole German uucp-map and Larry told me that my request
was selfish and rude. I think I must explain why I asked to reply by
news not by mail. My system here is NO official uucp host, because I am
only a student and I can't afford to pay several hundred German Marks
per month to get news and mail from our backbone "unido". So I am no
official uucp host. I hope you can imagine that in Germany it is very
difficult to get access to uucp if you are no university or big
company. This was my first posting in this newsgroup. I now do uucp for
about 2 years, and I really didn't want to bother anyone with my
posting. But when I received some of the flames this morning, I very
nearly started weeping. It seems to me that some of the people who send
me really offending flames don't see that I am only a human with
feelings, and it really hurts if you are called disgraceful, selfish,
rude. I only wanted to hear from the pople who read this newsgroup. So
I ask you not to reply my cry for help any longer. If you want to send
me a mail, please consider that I am already charged lots of bucks for
the flames.

Frank
(with tears in the eyes)

P.S.: Because this is a source-group, here is one short program that prints
a biorhythm. It is in BASIC 09, but there should be no problems to
make it run on other systems.

-----------------------------CUT HERE ----------------------------------------
#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line, then unpack
# it by saving it into a file and typing "sh file".  To overwrite existing
# files, type "sh file -c".  You can also feed this as standard input via
# unshar, or by typing "sh <file", e.g..  If this archive is complete, you
# will see the following message at the end:
#		"End of shell archive."
# Contents:  br
# Wrapped by root@stasys on Mon Jun 12 16:04:23 1989
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb ; export PATH
if test -f 'br' -a "${1}" != "-c" ; then
  echo shar: Will not clobber existing file \"'br'\"
else
echo shar: Extracting \"'br'\" \(6692 characters\)
sed "s/^X//" >'br' <<'END_OF_FILE'
XPROCEDURE bre
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Biorhythmus (c) by F.K. 1987 V 2.2e
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XON ERROR GOTO 5
XDIM Wochentag(7):STRING
XDIM Monatstage(12):INTEGER
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Daten aus den Datazeilen lesen
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XFOR I=1 TO 7
XREAD Wochentag(I)
XNEXT I
XFOR I=1 TO 12
XREAD Monatstage(I)
XNEXT I
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Daten
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XDATA "Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday"
XDATA "Friday","Saturday"
XDATA 31,28,31,30,31,30,31,31,30,31,30,31
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Start
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
X1 REM
XPRINT #2
XPRINT #2,"Biorhythm (c) 1987 by F.Kaefer V2.2e"
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Eingabe des heutigen Datums
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
X10 REM
XPRINT #2
XPRINT #2,"Date [<RETURN> for Systemdate] (DD.MM.YYYY) : ";
XREM alt:INPUT #0,T,M,J
XINPUT #0,Dtmp$
XIF LEN(Dtmp$) <> 10 THEN
XREM Systemdatum einsetzen
XDtmp$=MID$(Date$,7,2)+"."+MID$(Date$,4,2)+".19"+LEFT$(Date$,2)
XENDIF
XT=VAL(LEFT$(Dtmp$,2))
XM=VAL(MID$(Dtmp$,4,2))
XJ=VAL(RIGHT$(Dtmp$,4))
XTh=T
XMh=M
XJh=J
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Eingabe des Geburtstages
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
X11 REM
XPRINT #2,"Birthday (DD.MM.YYYY) : ";
XREM alt:INPUT #0,T,M,J
XINPUT #0,Dtmp$
XIF LEN(Dtmp$) <> 10 THEN
XPRINT #2,"Wrong input!"
XGOTO 11
XENDIF
XT=VAL(LEFT$(Dtmp$,2))
XM=VAL(MID$(Dtmp$,4,2))
XJ=VAL(RIGHT$(Dtmp$,4))
XTg=T
XMg=M
XJg=J
XGOSUB 2
XTa=Ta-INT(Ta/7)*7
XGtag=Ta+1
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Ueberpruefung der Eingaben
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XIF Jg>Jh THEN
XPRINT #2,"Wrong input!"
XGOTO 1
XENDIF
XIF Jg=Jh THEN
XIF Mg>Mh THEN
XPRINT #2,"Wrong input!"
XGOTO 1
XENDIF
XIF Mg=Mh THEN
XIF Tg>Th THEN
XPRINT #2,"Wrong input!"
XGOTO 1
XENDIF
XENDIF
XENDIF
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Abfrage, ob Kurve oder Tageswerte ausgegeben werden sollen
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
X20 REM
XPRINT #2,"Values of today or Graph (v/g) ";
XINPUT #0,Ausgabeart$
XIF Ausgabeart$="g" THEN
XGOTO 4
XENDIF
XIF Ausgabeart$ <> "v" THEN
XGOTO 20
XENDIF
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Berechnung der vergangenen Tage
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XJ=Jg
XM=Mg
XT=Tg
XGOSUB 2
XTag=Ta
XJ=Jh
XM=Mh
XT=Th
XGOSUB 2
XTah=Ta
XTage=Tah-Tag
XGOSUB 100
XPRINT #1
XPRINT #1,"The birthday "; Tg; Mg; Jg; " is a "; Wochentag(Gtag)
XPRINT #1,"Age in days: "; Tage
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Berechnung der drei Werte fuer das angegebene Datum
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XPhys=INT(50*(1+SIN((Tage/23-INT(Tage/23))*360*PI/180)))
XEmot=INT(50*(1+SIN((Tage/28-INT(Tage/28))*360*PI/180)))
XGeist=INT(50*(1+SIN((Tage/33-INT(Tage/33))*360*PI/180)))
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Ausgabe der Werte
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XPRINT #1,"Biorhythm "; Th; Mh; Jh
XPRINT #1,"Physical:  "; Phys; "%"
XPRINT #1,"Emotional: "; Emot; "%"
XPRINT #1,"Mental:   "; Geist; "%"
XPRINT #1
XEND
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Unterprogramm zur Berechnung der vergangenen Tage
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
X2 REM
XTa=0
XIF M<=2 THEN
XTa=(M-1)*31
XGOTO 3
XENDIF
XIF J/4=INT(J/4) THEN
XTa=1
XIF J/100=INT(J/100) THEN
XTa=0
XIF J/400=INT(J/400) THEN
XTa=1
XENDIF
XENDIF
XENDIF
XTa=Ta+INT((306*M-324)/10)
X3 REM
XTa=Ta+(J-1)*365+INT((J-1)/4)
XTa=Ta-INT((J-1)/100)+INT((J-1)/400)
XTa=Ta+T
XRETURN
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Ausgabe einer Kurve
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
X4 REM
XPRINT #2,"How many days : ";
XINPUT #0,Ktage
XKtage=Ktage-1
XDIM Line$(51):STRING
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Berechnung der vergangenen Tage
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XJ=Jg
XM=Mg
XT=Tg
XGOSUB 2
XTag=Ta
XJ=Jh
XM=Mh
XT=Th
XGOSUB 2
XTah=Ta
XTage=Tah-Tag
XGOSUB 100
XPRINT #1
XPRINT #1,"The birthday "; Tg; Mg; Jg; " is a "; Wochentag(Gtag)
XPRINT #1,"Age in days: "; Tage
XPRINT #1
XPRINT #1,TAB(15); "P=Physical, E=Emotional, M=Mental"
XPRINT #1
XPRINT #1,TAB(15); "bad condition"; TAB(52); "good condition"
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Schleife fuer die Ausgabe der Kurve
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XFOR Z=Tage TO Tage+Ktage
XPhys=INT(50*(1+SIN((Z/23-INT(Z/23))*360*PI/180)))
XEmot=INT(50*(1+SIN((Z/28-INT(Z/28))*360*PI/180)))
XGeist=INT(50*(1+SIN((Z/33-INT(Z/33))*360*PI/180)))
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Ausgabe der Werte als Kurve
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XPRINT #1,Th; Mh; Jh;
XPRINT #1,TAB(15);
XPhys=INT(INT(Phys)/2+.5)
XEmot=INT(INT(Emot)/2+.5)
XGeist=INT(INT(Geist)/2+.5)
XP=Phys+1
XE=Emot+1
XG=Geist+1
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XFOR Cl=1 TO 51
XLine$(Cl)="."
XNEXT Cl
XLine$(P)="P"
XLine$(E)="E"
XLine$(G)="M"
XLIne$(25)="|"
XFOR Pl=1 TO 51
XPRINT #1,Line$(Pl);
XNEXT Pl
XPRINT
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XTh=Th+1
XIF Th>Monatstage(Mh) THEN
XMh=Mh+1
XTh=1
XENDIF
XIF Mh>12 THEN
XJh=Jh+1
XMh=1
XENDIF
XNEXT Z
XPRINT #1
XEND
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Kopf BIORHYTHMUS
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
X100 REM
XPRINT #2
XPRINT #1,TAB(32);"BIORHYTHM"
XPRINT #1,TAB(32);"========="
XPRINT #1
XPRINT #1,TAB(23);"(c) 1987,1988 by F.Kaefer"
XRETURN
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM Error Routine
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
X5 REM
XPRINT #2
XEND
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
XREM End of Program
XREM --------------------------------------------------------------------
END_OF_FILE
if test 6692 -ne `wc -c <'br'`; then
    echo shar: \"'br'\" unpacked with wrong size!
fi
# end of 'br'
fi
echo shar: End of shell archive.
exit 0
-----------------------------CUT HERE ----------------------------------------

--

jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) (06/13/89)

> In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
> %
> %Hello to everyone readin' this!

	And a big hello from those of use who live and work only a
	mile from Disneyland in sunny Southern California.

	Go Lakers!

--

	jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz]!hodge!jdm

	James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist
	Hodge Computer Research Corporation
	1588 North Batavia Street
	Orange, California 92667  USA

	TEL: (714) 998-7750	Ask for James
	FAX: (714) 921-8038	Wait for the carrier

jasonh@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jason Handby) (06/14/89)

----------------------8<----------------------------------------------
#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line, then unpack
# it by saving it into a file and typing "sh file".  To overwrite existing
# files, type "sh file -c".  You can also feed this as standard input via
# unshar, or by typing "sh <file", e.g..  If this archive is complete, you
# will see the following message at the end:
#       "End of shell archive."
# Contents:  foo
# Wrapped by jasonh@syma on Tue Jun 13 22:21:28 1989
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb ; export PATH
if test -f 'foo' -a "${1}" != "-c" ; then
  echo shar: Will not clobber existing file \"'foo'\"
else
echo shar: Extracting \"'foo'\" \(117 characters\)
sed "s/^X//" >'foo' <<'END_OF_FILE'
Xecho "Your posting made it to Sussex, England, if that's any use"
Xecho ""
Xecho ""
Xecho "Cheers"
Xecho ""
Xecho "Jason"
END_OF_FILE
if test 117 -ne `wc -c <'foo'`; then
    echo shar: \"'foo'\" unpacked with wrong size!
fi
chmod +x 'foo'
# end of 'foo'
fi
echo shar: End of shell archive.
exit 0
----------------------8<------------------------------------------------

Jason Handby                             |
School of Cognitive and Computing Science| JANET: jasonh@uk.ac.sussex.syma
University of Sussex                     |
England                                  |

roskos@ida.org (Eric Roskos) (06/14/89)

> It seems to me that some of the people who send me really offending
> flames don't see that I am only a human with feelings, and it really
> hurts if you are called disgraceful, selfish, rude.  I only wanted to
> hear from the pople who read this newsgroup.

It is unfortunate that, in the past few years, so much hostility has developed
on the Usenet.  Especially in an "alt" group, which was supposed to be an
alternative to the various problems that had developed with the original
Usenet, one would hope that people would read more carefully and be more
considerate.  Many of the people who used to try to encourage courtesy on
the Usenet have quietly gone to other networks as a result of this; I, myself,
quit participating in any but the most technical newsgroups about 6 months
ago as a result of a similar unpleasant incident, after participating in the
Usenet since 1983.

I think we definitely need an alt.sources.d, so that discussion can be moved
out of this newsgroup.  But I would hope that, if the "alt" newsgroups are to
avoid all the arbitrary rulemaking and other problems, and not just be a
younger version of the increasingly commercialized main Usenet network, that
people would think more about others, and that not everyone is exactly like
them in their means, degree of experience with the net, or personal philosophy.
--
Eric Roskos (roskos@CS.IDA.ORG or Roskos@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL)

"They are strong enough to hang a house from,
 as strong as cranes, yet they are open."

pearl@athos.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) (06/15/89)

 >In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
 >I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
 >systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
 >a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).

Welcome to New Brunswick, NJ!

Steve
---
Stephen Pearl (Starbuck)    Work: (201)932-2443   Home: (201)246-3927
UUCP:  rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!pearl   ARPA:  pearl@aramis.rutgers.edu
US MAIL:  LPO 12749 CN 5064, New Brunswick, NJ 08903
QUOTES: "What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19
	"Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)

pfrennin@altos86.Altos.COM (Peter Frenning) (06/15/89)

 >In article <189000002@stasys> fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) writes:
 >I need your help. I have the feelin' that my postings never reach
 >systems outside of the Fed.Rep. of Germany. So PLEASE, do send me
 >a short reply via news (not mail please - I've got to pay for mail).

You also reached San Jose in sunny California OK.

|      Peter Frenning, Altos Computer Systems, San Jose                 |
+--------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
| I don't need a dis-| JackNet:        mgr.prodmkt!pfrennin             |
| claimer, since all | USENET:         pfrennin@altos86.UUCP            |
| my statements are  | VOICE:          (408) 496-6700                   |
| borrowed, and pro- | SNAILMAIL:      2641 Orchard Parkway             |
| bably already dis- |                 San Jose, CA 95134               |
| claimed by someone |                                                  |
| else!              | FAX:            (408) 433-9335                   |
|                PF  |                                                  |
+--------------------+--------------------------------------------------+

vitale@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Phil Vitale) (06/16/89)

> But I also got some flames (via mail) and I
> want to apologize for my stupidity to post my shout for help in this
> newsgroup.

Frank, you are not stupid; you just did not know the informal rules.

The flamers are the ones who are stupid.  If they flame instead of
simply making you aware of the "local" customs, it only means that they
have a really low self image of themselves.  The net is an outlet for
them to assert themselves; like they feel equal to the rest of the
human race or something.

The net is a great and powerful tool.  Don't let the scumbags discourage
you from using it.  *Everyone* makes mistakes.

Oh yeah.  Below is a shell source replacement for "true".   Should work
for sh, csh, and ksh.  (If there is enough interest, "false" can be
posted next week.)

Phil Vitale
vitale%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM

#############################################################################
# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line,
# then unpack it by saving it in a file and typing "sh file".
#
# This archive contains:
#	true
#
# Error checking via wc(1) will be performed.
# Error checking via sum(1) will be performed.

LANG=""; export LANG

echo x - true
cat >true <<'@EOF'
exit 0
@EOF
set -- `sum <true`; if test $1 -ne 532
then
	echo ERROR: true checksum is $1 should be 532
fi
if test "`wc -lwc <true`" != '      1      2      7'
then
	echo ERROR: wc results of true are `wc -lwc <true` should be       1      2      7
fi

chmod 644 true

exit 0

kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) (06/20/89)

> hear from the pople who read this newsgroup.
>It is unfortunate that, in the past few years, so much hostility has
>developed on the Usenet.
[...]
   Geez. You can say *THAT* twice.
   USENET consists of thousands of nodes, with thousands of people. Lets
   face it. We communicate with everyone from geniuses to psychopaths.

>I, myself, quit participating in any but the most technical newsgroups
>about 6 months ago as a result of a similar unpleasant incident, after
>participating in the Usenet since 1983.

   It's sad to say, but you can't get away from hostility by quietly
   reading/posting to comp.sys.os-9 any more than you can avoid
   random violence by a homicidal maniac.

>people would think more about others, and that not everyone is exactly like
>them in their means, degree of experience with the net, or personal philosophy.

   This is a wonderful thought.
   Unfortunately, since USENET is a "faceless" media, a lot of people lose
   sight of how they should(n't) behave. There is a percentage of people
   on USENET who show a remarkable ability in letting their "id" per-
   sonalities show through...They feel justified at calling people incredibly
   awful things over stupid little incidents, like spelling, ".sig" length,
   technically unimportant issues, even what did and did not ocurr in a
   Star Trek episode.

   P.S.
   I perfectly expect to get flamed by posting this article in this newsgroup.

   P.P.S.
   Since I can't get mail thru to Frank (In Germany):
   Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Some things are
   MUCH more important than ANY ".c" file.

Kevin

mico@Roma.orc.olivetti.com (Michele Costabile) (06/22/89)

well, I was sure that Frank was going to be flamed: he certainly
caused an incredible net traffic, but.. I liked to get the
feeling of this worldwide community, like a net picnic.
Of course not everyone is a nice person and the violation of
netiquette is clear but _for once_ let idealism prevail (for the thirty
something once more).
				Michele