[net.micro] HELP with ProComm 2.3 problems please!

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (08/22/86)

I grabbed a copy of ProComm 2.3 several days ago. It seems like a very nice
program, but also rather buggy. It has a *very* annoying tendency to lock
up completely, and has trouble with terminal emulations. Has anybody else
had and/or solved these problems?

	- Alt-S (setup) locks up an AT every time (IBM and clone. A second
		clone didn't have trouble)
	- Kermit transfers tend to get locked up
	- It frequently locks up when you aren't receiving anything (goes
		into a receive loop at the wrong time?)
	- TVI 925/950 emulation locks up often when things like 'sysline'
		try to write to the status line
	- TVI 950 isn't worth beans in vi.

	- TVI 925 locks up immediately when initialized with the standard
		termcap init string in the berkeley termcap file

I'd love to use this program, if only it worked!

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (08/24/86)

In article <216@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>I grabbed a copy of ProComm 2.3 several days ago. It seems like a very nice
>program, but also rather buggy. It has a *very* annoying tendency to lock
>up completely, and has trouble with terminal emulations. Has anybody else
>had and/or solved these problems?
>
>	- TVI 925/950 emulation locks up often when things like 'sysline'
>		try to write to the status line
>	- TVI 950 isn't worth beans in vi.

There are two major problems with the Televideo emulations that I have
found:

1) The Home Cursor character (Control-^) is not supported (really odd since
they did set it up for the HOME key to send that character). For me a quick
fix was to set up a seperate termcap entry for the PROCOMM emulation which
just used the standard one, but with the 'ho' attribute left undefined.

2) There seems to be a bug in how the status line is updated. If it is
already enabled (via an ESC-g) and then updated (via an ESC-f), the new
contents are *not* shown until the status line is disable and then
re-enabled.

Hope this is of help.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	NOMAD: ... a mass of conflicting impulses. Absorbing it
		unsettled me.
	SPOCK: That unit was Rich Rosen.
					from "Rosen Trek"

rick@sdcsvax.UUCP (Rick Randall) (08/25/86)

In article <216@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>I grabbed a copy of ProComm 2.3 several days ago. It seems like a very nice
>program, but also rather buggy. It has a *very* annoying tendency to lock
>up completely, and has trouble with terminal emulations. Has anybody else
>had and/or solved these problems?
>
>	- Alt-S (setup) locks up an AT every time (IBM and clone. A second
>		clone didn't have trouble)
>	- Kermit transfers tend to get locked up
>	- It frequently locks up when you aren't receiving anything (goes
>		into a receive loop at the wrong time?)

Never had any of these problems on my PC or on my Orchid 286e
expansion board (like an AT on the PC).  Procomm 2.3 has worked
beautifully by and large -- definitely the best PD comm program
I've found.  Sorry about your problems -- and I can't suggest
remedies;  perhaps you should register and then ask for support
from the author(s).

	Rick Randall    EECS Department
			University of California, San Diego

	decvax\ 	rick@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
	ihnp4  >--->	sdcsvax  ---> rick
	ucbvax/		rick@sdcsvax.uucp

adamsd@crash.UUCP (Adams Douglas) (08/25/86)

Be sure that you haven't left packages like SuperKey or ProKey running
when you invoke Procomm. SuperKey can be left running, but be sure to
clear the macros. Also, there are many more obscure resident packages
that can interfere w/ProComm. Try deleting all resident software. If
that doesn't work, you might also try changing the setup so it operates
through BIOS calls (this may not make a difference, but it's worth a try).

Don't exclude the possiblility that your copy of ProComm may have been
corrupted. It happens.

Adams Douglas			ARPA:crash!adamsd@nosc.ARPA
Jet Propulsion Lab/NASA		UUCP:adamsd@crash.UUCP
(818)354-3076

These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of JPL
or NASA.

"Did I do something wrong today, or has the world always
 been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself
 to notice?" -- Arthur Dent

jsm@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (Jonathan Meltzer) (08/26/86)

In article <2012@sdcsvax.UUCP> rick@sdcsvax.UUCP (Rick Randall) writes:
>In article <216@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>>I grabbed a copy of ProComm 2.3 several days ago. It seems like a very nice
>>program, but also rather buggy. It has a *very* annoying tendency to lock
>>up completely, and has trouble with terminal emulations. Has anybody else
>>had and/or solved these problems?
>>
>>	- Alt-S (setup) locks up an AT every time (IBM and clone. A second
>>		clone didn't have trouble)
>>	- Kermit transfers tend to get locked up
>>	- It frequently locks up when you aren't receiving anything (goes
>>		into a receive loop at the wrong time?)
>
>Never had any of these problems on my PC or on my Orchid 286e
>expansion board (like an AT on the PC).  Procomm 2.3 has worked
>beautifully by and large -- definitely the best PD comm program
>I've found.  Sorry about your problems -- and I can't suggest
>remedies;  perhaps you should register and then ask for support
>from the author(s).

The only Procomm problem I've encountered is the inability to Kermit to/from
Vax UNIX. Anyone know the correct parameters?

Jon Meltzer
Dept. of Modern Languages and Linguistics, Cornell University
"Disclaimer" is a trademark of Bell Laboratories.

myxm@lanl.ARPA (Mike Mitchell) (08/27/86)

> In article <216@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
> >I grabbed a copy of ProComm 2.3 several days ago. It seems like a very nice
> >program, but also rather buggy. It has a *very* annoying tendency to lock
> >up completely, and has trouble with terminal emulations. Has anybody else
> >had and/or solved these problems?
> >
> Never had any of these problems on my PC or on my Orchid 286e
> expansion board (like an AT on the PC).  Procomm 2.3 has worked
> beautifully by and large -- definitely the best PD comm program
> I've found.  Sorry about your problems -- and I can't suggest
> remedies;  perhaps you should register and then ask for support
> from the author(s).

I'll have to agree about Procomm. It is one of the nicest pieces of
software that has come through public domain. The problems you are
experiencing could either be related to some background software that
you are loading at boot or since you say it is a compatible, you might
even want to suspect the BIOS. I don't know how dependant Procomm is on
the BIOS, but I have had it hang on me when I had background serial port
monitor running and start Procomm up.

Mike Mitchell
myxm@lanl.ARPA

jcm@ORNL-MSR.arpa (James A. Mullens) (08/28/86)

I missed the beginning of this discussion on ProComm problems, but I'll
contribute a suggestion which is at least interesting if not helpful.
I decided to take a look at ProComm recently, and found it wouldn't work
correctly until I set the date of the executable file (procomm.exe) up
to last June instead of its earlier creation date.

Perhaps the authors built in an expiration date?!

I found annoying problems in the vt100 emulation when used with the
UN*X vi editor on BSD 4.2, so I decided not to use it...

My apologies if this finds it way to net.micro ...  I'm on the arpanet
side of the fence and I seem to have no way to discriminate between
net.micro and net.micro.pc.  (All constructive suggestions greatly
appreciated).

Has anyone else seen this ProComm phenomenon, or did I just imagine it?

jim mullens / oak ridge national lab

fac@burdvax.UUCP (Frank Cooley) (08/29/86)

> In article <2012@sdcsvax.UUCP> rick@sdcsvax.UUCP (Rick Randall) writes:
>>In article <216@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>>>I grabbed a copy of ProComm 2.3 several days ago. It seems like a very nice
>>>program, but also rather buggy. It has a *very* annoying tendency to lock
>>>up completely, and has trouble with terminal emulations. Has anybody else
>>>had and/or solved these problems?
>>>
>>>	- Alt-S (setup) locks up an AT every time (IBM and clone. A second
>>>		clone didn't have trouble)
>>>	- Kermit transfers tend to get locked up
>>>	- It frequently locks up when you aren't receiving anything (goes
>>>		into a receive loop at the wrong time?)
>>
>>Never had any of these problems on my PC or on my Orchid 286e
>>expansion board (like an AT on the PC).  Procomm 2.3 has worked
>>beautifully by and large -- definitely the best PD comm program
>>I've found.  Sorry about your problems -- and I can't suggest
>>remedies;  perhaps you should register and then ask for support
>>from the author(s).
>
> The only Procomm problem I've encountered is the inability to Kermit to/from
> Vax UNIX. Anyone know the correct parameters?
>

> Jon Meltzer
> Dept. of Modern Languages and Linguistics, Cornell University
> "Disclaimer" is a trademark of Bell Laboratories.
You have to set the kermit type parameter correctly to either
binary or text.
If you do this you should have no trouble, I have scripts which call
up kermit and set the type depending on what type of file I want to
download and this works fine.

Frank Cooley

broman@cod.UUCP (Vincent P. Broman) (09/02/86)

<>

Two suggestions for unixoid procomm users:

The vt100 emulation gave me problems until I made the wrapmargin option
in procomm match the expected value in the vt100 termcap entry. Check
yours. No guarantees this is the only stumblingblock.

My kermit transfers didn't work until I set the program parameters to
transmit 8 bits at a time when I start the transfer. I didn't find
a setup that I could use for terminal emulation AND file transfer,
because the terminal displayed "funny" chars when my unix system
sent characters with the 8th bit set.

Vincent Broman, code 632,  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA 92152, USA
Phone: +1 619 225 2365        {seismo,caip,ihnp4,ucbvax}!\\\\\\\
Arpa: broman@bugs.nosc.mil Uucp: {floyd,moss,bang,hp-sdd,sdcsvax}!noscvax!broman