[net.micro] EGA in an AT&T6300

KRULWICH@C.CS.CMU.EDU (Bruce Krulwich) (09/04/86)

has anyone out there ever tried plugging an IBM EGA card into an
AT&T 6300 pc??  aparantly there is some way to disable the normal
graphics board and just use the EGA.  (note: i am NOT talking about
the AT&T DEB)

bruce krulwich

arpa: krulwich@c.cs.cmu.edu
bitnet: bk0a%cmcctc@cmccvma
uucp: ... !ucbvax!c.cs.cmu.edu!krulwich    ( ?? )

lowe@psuvax1.UUCP (Tom Lowe) (09/08/86)

In article <3555@brl-smoke.ARPA> KRULWICH@C.CS.CMU.EDU (Bruce Krulwich) writes:

>has anyone out there ever tried plugging an IBM EGA card into an
>AT&T 6300 pc??  aparantly there is some way to disable the normal
>graphics board and just use the EGA.  (note: i am NOT talking about
>the AT&T DEB)
>

>bruce krulwich
>
>arpa: krulwich@c.cs.cmu.edu
>bitnet: bk0a%cmcctc@cmccvma
>uucp: ... !ucbvax!c.cs.cmu.edu!krulwich    ( ?? )

The AT&T PC6300 computer is capable of using an EGA board only
it it has ROM BIOS version 1.43.  If your machine has 1.21 or less,
an upgrade kit can be ordered for $35.00 and includes 2 replacement
ROM chips and a replacement PAL chip.  The part number is 105203780
and can be ordered from AT&T National Parts at 1-800-222-PART (7278)

You also must disable your display controller board or replace it with
what is called a Video Bridge Adapter which simply connects the Motherboard
with the Bus Converter board.  Part number 405067281.  I don't know the
exact price, but it can also be ordered from 1-800-222-PART.  Some of
the more recent PC6300's have a display controller that can be disabled
by removing a 74LS00 chip located at position 6H directly above the black
power lead and then connecting the following pins in the socket:
6 and 7....and with another wire:  3,8,11,and 14.   If this chip is
soldered to the board, then you must use the Video Bridge Adapter.
NOTE:  unsoldering the soldered chip on your display controller will
void your warranty and you won't be able to return a board for
repair/exchange credit should something go wrong!

A new configuration of the PC6300 is starting to come out also...
the CPU1Z.  This is a single floppy drive system with the 1.43 ROMS BIOS
and a video controller card that is disabled with a single jumper.
There is a 3-pin jumper (W1) locatd between 1E and 1D (That's
the left-hand ege, half way down from the top).  When Pins
2 and 3 are strapped, the video board is normal, When Pins 1 and 2
are strapped, the video board is disabled.

Owners of PC's under warranty and those with maintenance contracts
may direct further questions to the AT&T PC Hotline at 1-800-922-0354.

--Tom Lowe